Reply from Electrify America

Scott H

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 BMW i3 Base, Mach-E4x - Inf. Blue (ordered)
Country flag
Nice.
I hope they improve their screens in direct sunlight. It was pretty difficult to read and I couldn't quite figure out what I was supposed to do next - never having done this.
I will say Plug and Charge worked on my first and only attempt so far.
(outside me not understanding there was a button I had to push to start the whole process)
If you had to press a button, then I don't think Plug and Charge worked as expected; otherwise it would be called "Press a Button, Plug, and Charge". ;)
Sponsored

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Depends what you mean by true. I know they'e done nothing in over a year to deal with the WV hole:
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.45.31 PM.png
I wonder if this hole has anything to do with the US National Radio Quiet Zone, which covers a lot of that area you got circled.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, of course you know I disagree. ;) There is an EA Level 3 DC charger in Aurora and then NO level 3 chargers after that going west on I-88 that I'm aware of. I think the DeKalb area should have a fast charger because Northern Illinois University is located in DeKalb and there is a lot of traffic around there (coming from Chicago mostly so they wouldn't be using I-80). Assuming the EV phenomenon takes off, more and more people will need to have a fast chargers going both ways; to get home to Chicago and to make it further west on I-88. LaSalle might be a logical place if we're talking I-80 but I'm not; I'm talking about I-88. Bottom line though is ALL the major highways need to be covered with a network of DC chargers and everybody wants their pet projects done first. My reasons for DeKalb are selfish too, I'll admit that but I also think it is logical as well. And you're right, it would be great if all these places were filled in the next 2-3 years.
Just saying I suspect EA would consider that more of a next "filling in" phase location than a "can't even make it" location for distance driving across the country. If you look at the broader map, the spacing in that area is about the same as it is in most other interstate routes.

But yes, there's a lot of filling in that needs to be done after they get the basic skeletal grid in place. Which they still have some ways to go yet. There's entire states and major regions that are still totally left out. I do have faith that they'll get those done and move on to the "filling in" stage after that though. I just wish they'd do all that instead of flooding some cities with a dozen+ stations first.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Reply from Electrify America Firefox_Screenshot_2021-03-30T21-17-48.850Z

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
EA is top notch. Their stations are fast, work great (once you get past Ford Plug & Charge), and they have great customer service. Hopping for a lot more stations soon, including a second one in the KC area on the Kansas side along the I-35 corridor.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Ea really needs to put a station in Louisville ky. If you are one of the very few that have to depend on fast charging to charge your bev your screwed. the closest is right across the bridge in Indiana and each time across and back it's 4 dollars.
So 8 dollars plus the charge rate to dc fast charge your bev. that sucks.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's a pretty good reply, although I wasn't too happy about their 'next round of investment' starting in 2022. Honestly, that should be happening now to help support all the new non-Tesla EVs hitting the roads THIS year. Starting the investment 8 months from now means it'll be at least another 12-16 months before we actually see more chargers due to the usual timeline for land acquisition, permitting, and electric utility coordination. Let's hope they're starting that design and permitting process this summer, which will allow them to actually build the new chargers by early 2022.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Ea really needs to put a station in Louisville ky. If you are one of the very few that have to depend on fast charging to charge your bev your screwed. the closest is right across the bridge in Indiana and each time across and back it's 4 dollars.
So 8 dollars plus the charge rate to dc fast charge your bev. that sucks.
Ah, yes, thanks for the reminder that I need to login to that website and pay for my bridge crossing back and forth last week!

Apparently Indiana is one of those pay-by-time states, but it was actually my cheapest charge on that trip, as it was the only EA station that ever hit over 150 kW. Plug and Charge didn't work, though.

(Met some nice folks interested in my car while I was there.)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wonder if this hole has anything to do with the US National Radio Quiet Zone, which covers a lot of that area you got circled.
?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Electrify America is using a customer-centric, data-driven process to identify locations where ultra-fast EV charging stations are most needed.

Silly question, perhaps, but if their customers don't charge, say in WV, or WY, or the UP of Michigan because there are no chargers, then their data is never going to show those gaps. It's the chicken and the egg.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Electrify America is using a customer-centric, data-driven process to identify locations where ultra-fast EV charging stations are most needed.

Silly question, perhaps, but if their customers don't charge, say in WV, or WY, or the UP of Michigan because there are no chargers, then their data is never going to show those gaps. It's the chicken and the egg.
It is a bit. But I think they are really using traffic count data combined with EV sales to estimate potential EV traffic. As an example, North Dakota has low EV sales and low traffic counts on I-94. It is harder to sell EVs in ND because to get anywhere there is a lack of charging infrastructure. But hard for EA to justify putting anything in when so few people are traveling across the state in ICE or EVs.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is a bit. But I think they are really using traffic count data combined with EV sales to estimate potential EV traffic. As an example, North Dakota has low EV sales and low traffic counts on I-94. It is harder to sell EVs in ND because to get anywhere there is a lack of charging infrastructure. But hard for EA to justify putting anything in when so few people are traveling across the state in ICE or EVs.
Yep, I don't think "data-driven" means only their data. It's likely all kinds of relevant data.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Nope. WV chose to only use 5% of their VW settlement for charging infrastructure and placed it entirely at two universities -- probably all L2 stations!
I just realized . . . WV backwards is VW . . . I think it has some hidden meaning, just like the White Album played backwards. Maybe there is some significance to the VW WV hole??

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Except that i77 is a MAJOR N/S route going through WV with plenty of traffic from Ohio to the South and linking through Western VA with I64.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I just realized . . . WV backwards is VW . . . I think it has some hidden meaning, just like the White Album played backwards. Maybe there is some significance to the VW WV hole??
is that why when I play the Mach-E training videos backwards, it says "ICE is dead"?
Sponsored