sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Hey, @moparguy, not aiming this comment directly at you but at all the GT guys who seem to be complaining like a power reduction hurts them more.
Why do you all think that?

I mean I bought an ER AWD because I simply could not justify the added expense of the GT models. I already am probably going to get a ticket with my car's acceleration. I still want to get the full acceleration I thought I'd bought. But, a potential reduction in power output will affect all of us potentially.

And, a bigger concern which might have more of an affect on me would be DCFC speeds. If this new software limits the charge rate, my road trip next month might go from 7 hours of charging round trip to 14 if they cut the rates in half. Maybe it will even be worse. And this is something ALL of us might experience GT or not.
A lot comes down to how they limit it. Let's say that to be safe, they limit all cars to 200HP (it will really be an aperage limit that impacts torque, but this worksf or the example).

For AWD ER trims, this is a ~37% power cut. For GT trims, it would be a 58% power cut. Bigger impact to GTs.
Sponsored

WSoxFan22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E
Country flag
Dealers can add points to options if they want, so what your original rate is doesn't really matter FWIW
All I'm showing is that the APR is retroactive to your order date; which was requested by a few posters.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
So no hardware fix? no dropping of the battery pack? Just software? Of course does that imply that GTs will get throttled back ? or grey bars will just pop up when you turn on the car!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
All I'm showing is that the APR is retroactive to your order date; which was requested by a few posters.
Right but the dealers have leeway on how much of a percentage they can add on to that at sale.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
So no hardware fix? no dropping of the battery pack? Just software? Of course does that imply that GTs will get throttled back ? or grey bars will just pop up when you turn on the car!
No. No. Yes. Yes absolutely. Maybe, but depends on your ambient lighting settings.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I drove our currently in the shop for failure MME last summer on a 800 mi roundtrip through close to 100 degree weather with 2 DCFC stops each way without issue. Did another similar trip back in April also without issue.
When you say "currently in the shop for failure MME" do you mean your MME had the HVBJB issue? If so, then I suspect that it adds further credence to the idea that the failure is something that develops over time, not something that necessarily happens all at once. The the NHTSA report: "The updated BECM software (NJ98-14C197-AE, NJ98-14C197-BD) will monitor contactor resistance to identify an overheated contactor and reduce vehicle power to prevent further damage." [emphasis added].

Couple this with @RonTCat's comment...
Yes, if you do repeated 0-60 at WOT, you may see this condition. Like, for instance, a dealer demo unit level of 0-60 events.
...and I think it suggests that potentially your road trips did have a contributory effect on the eventual failure.

If however "currently in the shop for failure MME" doesn't refer to the HVBJB issue, then never mind, nothing to look at here! 🙃

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yes, HVBJB failure (contactors stuck open.) Sorry, tried to use shorthand, but my failure in this thread does mean HVBJB failure.

We haven't done that many roadtrips actually, car only has 13k miles in over a year of use, but anything is possible. They could have become pitted and just finally failed with normal use- but my stuck open (seen on code reader) restarted successfully after second restart, then failed to restart for 4 days, then on 5th day restarted so I could drive to dealer without dealing with tow.

From what I hear now after 5 days at the dealer waiting for the "new part" it is no longer drivable. I assume this is because the 12v is now dead (it never appeared to keep the charge when it wasn't being maintained by the HV battery.)

When you say "currently in the shop for failure MME" do you mean your MME had the HVBJB issue? If so, then I suspect that it adds further credence to the idea that the failure is something that develops over time, not something that necessarily happens all at once. The the NHTSA report: "The updated BECM software (NJ98-14C197-AE, NJ98-14C197-BD) will monitor contactor resistance to identify an overheated contactor and reduce vehicle power to prevent further damage." [emphasis added].

Couple this with @RonTCat's comment...

...and I think it suggests that potentially your road trips did have a contributory effect on the eventual failure.

If however "currently in the shop for failure MME" doesn't refer to the HVBJB issue, then never mind, nothing to look at here! 🙃

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Just got my car back today with the new part. No new software yet but I assume they'll push that too. Car works great though so I'm happy about that.

J-orange

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang GT vert, 2022 MME Premium eAWD ER
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Remedy:

" The updated SOBDMC software (LJ98-14G069-AXG, LJ98-14G069-AZG, LJ98-14G069-BBG, LJ98-14G069-BDG) will monitor contactor temperature and intelligently reduce battery power to prevent damage to the contactor. The updated BECM software (NJ98-14C197-AE, NJ98-14C197-BD) will monitor contactor resistance to identify an overheated contactor and reduce vehicle power to prevent further damage "

This is annoying, it's clearly defective contactors or defective poor-quality hardware was used, instead of fixing the bad hardware, looks like Ford is taking a shortcut exactly like Chevy did with the Bolt, this is obviously won't affect the guys with a Select, but those with a GT like me, looks like going to suffer the most
Chevy made a software update to limit charging to 80% as a band-aid until the battery packs were physically replaced with new ones that actually had more capacity as a bonus.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just got my car back today with the new part. No new software yet but I assume they'll push that too. Car works great though so I'm happy about that.
What version of software is on your SOBDMC module?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
What version of software is on your SOBDMC module?
It has not changed. They did not update that module. Are we expecting a change in the rear motor software?

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
I have owned sport cars most of my life, as well, corvettes, Z3, etc.(not a sports car but also a 409 back in the day) so I understand what you are saying. But now I am about to become one of those guys who owns one of those BORING Selects. Rest assured, though, if I see you stranded by the side of the road I won't insult you by stopping to give you a ride in my BORING Select(comfort/technology package, tho) ;)

I am probably 20 years away from being in your position, no offense to the select owners was intended but people buy cars for different reasons, I exclusively went for the GT because it fits my driving style at the moment.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
My Select was scheduled for production in the week of 5/23/22. On 5/27/22 it shown built. I am sure it wasn't built in one day. The affected ones by this recall are the ones before 5/24/22. If mine stated production on 5/23/22 then I guess mine could be affected.

Better to find out from my dealer, but the car is still in shipping.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Chevy made a software update to limit charging to 80% as a band-aid until the battery packs were physically replaced with new ones that actually had more capacity as a bonus.

If I am not wrong, Chevy tried to fix it via software first, failed, then came out with the temp bandaid to figure out how would they do the proper fix.
Sponsored