Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Should be required reading for Ford Engineers.
When I see NHTSA documentation using expressions like “not robust enough” and “using software to prevent further damage”, I can only surmise the contactors are doomed to eventual failure.
DOOMED!!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655404110413
Sponsored

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
I was reading some older posts, and it just seems like @agoldman jinxed us all ;)

Post from 2020

every car has recalls, but Tesla Model X 15,000 recalled with steering problems.. ouch... hope that Mach E can keep the first model year issues to a minimum..
Post from yesterday

Damaged and recalled? Might be a sign to wait for the '23 deliveries. But I guess they're on hold too.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Um, not really. This is an absurd caricature of the situation.

No one on this forum is happy about the recall - I have not seen any behavior that I would describe as fanboyish. But there definitely are a lot of people who are panicking about a potential loss of acceleration without having any more information than the three sentences in the NHTSA recall. It is not somehow more "realistic" to assume that the fix will be a complete disaster. If the fix was going to severely limit the performance of the MME (a car marketed and sold for its performance), there would be more evidence, like internal leaks, etc.

We need to see what happens next. Honestly, I found it much more upsetting that an undiagnosed problem could cause the car to stop while driving or refuse to start - with no known cause or fix. That freaked me out. A software fix that detects that condition and tries to prevent it is a step in the right direction.

This is the first model year of this platform, there will be some problems no matter how well it's tested. How's that for realism?

Just relax a little bit about what life will be like after the fix. Honestly. We need to see. That's all I can really say anymore. Take a walk. Take a drive. Have a cup of tea, whatever. Stop worrying about the aftermath of the fix until you actually have it, or until Ford announces more details. Watch your blood pressure drop.

Last edited:

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
As a technical writer.. remember to define an acronym at the first instance of its use without a definitions/acronyms section in your internet book. :p

Example: wide-open throttle (WOT)

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
As a technical writer.. remember to define an acronym at the first instance of its use without a definitions/acronyms section in your internet book. :p

Example: wide-open throttle (WOT)
You’re just saying that cause you had to go look it up.

Didn’t you!?

I knew it!

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Damaged and recalled? Might be a sign to wait for the '23 deliveries. But I guess they're on hold too. Actually I think the whole world is on hold...
It's all Putin's fault. Now, going into hiding.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
What I’m curious about is if the GTs being built right now with the fix already in place will have any sort of limitation. Five second limitation or something additional, or nothing at all.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Um, not really. This is an absurd caricature of the situation.
You're criticizing others for caricature?
Some of the worst-case scenarios people post on here are so funny:
"Oh man, a software fix for the high-voltage contactor issue??!? Now Ford will have no choice but to cap the car's speed at 10 mph, steering will be disabled, only automated BlueCruise driving will be allowed, the car battery will only be allowed a single recharge

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
What I’m curious about is if the GTs being built right now with the fix already in place will have any sort of limitation. Five second limitation or something additional, or nothing at all.
Repeating other many posts, the 5-second GT power limit has nothing to do with this recall. The limit is to protect the battery overheating (so I've heard), this issue and recall is to address the junction box where the contactors are malfunctioning because they are overheating.
All temperature related, different places in the powertrain.

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
One has nothing to do with the other.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I was reading some older posts, and it just seems like @agoldman jinxed us all ;)

Post from 2020

Post from yesterday
And you forgot about Ford recent million car recall for rolling away.. Anyway, just killing time till the fix comes or the car seizes up whichever comes first... believe it or not I'm actually hopeful.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
They will probably just have the revised part but still use the same software fix as this was supposed to introduced to new builds in may. I doubt there will be any new GTs rolling off the line with a fix that removes the 5 second limitation until we get a complete model refresh in x years time unless Ford want to be on the end of another class action lawsuit.

Of course I may just be approaching this wrong and Ford internally use a different definition of success as considering there track record with new model launches over the years it could well be based on generating the largest number of recalls and class action lawsuits 🤣