Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That extra ~30 minutes or so could easily be lost in other "issues" with taking a road trip: traffic jams, construction, bad storms, etc.
You can't charge while in a traffic jam or construction, nor when you slow down for weather issues - the half hour is tacked on top of those delays
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You can't charge while in a traffic jam or construction, nor when you slow down for weather issues - the half hour is tacked on top of those delays
Correct but if any of those delays are much longer you won't notice the 1/2 hour needed for extra charging (and if you're in a traffic jam or construction going slow then you're using the battery more efficiently and thus may not need that charge as much).

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
TeslaFi tells you how many cars were charging on which units?

That extra ~30 minutes or so could easily be lost in other "issues" with taking a road trip: traffic jams, construction, bad storms, etc.
All those issues would be faced by both drivers. Where the MME might be able to make up the difference is if the Tesla charges 'too fast'. Say Tesla charges 25 minutes and the MME charges 55 minute during an hour lunch break. Then both trips would be on a par. And maybe the Tesla gets charged 'idle' fees.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
@Mach-MI, I suppose @Woeo's doubt is on the other 112 times. It would be implausible that you counted those yourself. So I imagine the Tesla car must have a counter somewhere you can look up.
TeslaFi does crazy logging on stuff like that. Amazingly fun tool if you are a data/stats person.

As far his experience. I think being in the midwest, his experience is the norm. I haven't done many Supercharges yet, but I've yet to actually see another Tesla at the superchargers i've done. Plus Superchargers normally have at least 8 stalls which helps.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
They can get pretty full here in the Phoenix area as well. Ton's of Teslas here.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Most of the Tesla Superchargers I see look like a bank of empty tombstones -- just like the CCS/CHAdeMO chargers.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, just for fun, I tried a comparison on ABRP from my home to visit family in VA. A 500 mile trip. For the Model Y AWD ER, 9 hrs 4 minutes, 2 charges, with a little under 54 minutes of charging. MME AWD ER, 9 hrs 33 minutes, 2 charges with 1 hr 25 minutes of charging. Does that change my mind about the MME? NO. This is a two or three time a year use case. However, it would be nice if those charging times were more on a par with Tesla.
I did a similar comparison from my home in the SF Bay Area to my daughter's place in Vancouver, BC. I included the top three EV's on my list, Mach-e, Niro EV, and Volvo XC-40 EV, plus Model Y (just for comparison though, I would never buy one). Total time ranged from 17:25 for MY to 18:33 for Niro, with Mach-e at 18:18. MY takes 1:55 in 6 stops, Mach-e 3:08 in 4. I could probably deal with that for a very infrequent trip. Plus there would be an overnight stop somewhere along the way. Cost advantage to MY is enormous.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I did a similar comparison from my home in the SF Bay Area to my daughter's place in Vancouver, BC. I included the top three EV's on my list, Mach-e, Niro EV, and Volvo XC-40 EV, plus Model Y (just for comparison though, I would never buy one). Total time ranged from 17:25 for MY to 18:33 for Niro, with Mach-e at 18:18. MY takes 1:55 in 6 stops, Mach-e 3:08 in 4. I could probably deal with that for a very infrequent trip. Plus there would be an overnight stop somewhere along the way. Cost advantage to MY is enormous.
The Nissan Ariya supposedly was designed to do 800 km in 8 hours, including charging time. I would hope that the MME can meet or beat the Ariya.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Nissan Ariya supposedly was designed to do 800 km in 8 hours, including charging time. I would hope that the MME can meet or beat the Ariya.
That 800 km (~500 mi) in 1 stop scenario requires a perfect charger placement. With the numbers they provide, it seems awful tight, but maybe. 300 mile range. If you run the first leg from 100% to 10%, that's 270 miles, 230 left.

They say it charges 175 miles in 30 minutes. Need another 55 miles. At the same pace that's 10 minutes but surely it tapers so figure 20 minutes, for 50 total minutes of charging.

That leaves 7:10 for driving 500 miles. That's 70 MPH. That means they're counting on it maintaining 300 miles of range at 70 MPH. I seriously doubt that.

Maybe they're running it from 100% to 0% on the first leg, rolling into the charger on the last few usable electrons. That would require a 200 mile recharge. If there's almost no taper (unlikely), that's about 35 minutes of recharge. That's 500 miles in 7:25. That's still 67 MPH. Again, doubtful they get all 300 miles of range at 67 MPH.