Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
This isn't even that bad. Every car company offers you dozens upon dozens of configurations. For example, the RAV4 has ELEVEN base trims. Within each trim you can configure the car multiple ways. And the RAV4 is the best selling SUV.

And like what a poster here has mentioned, don't even get me started with the German brands.
Would you like a valve stem to have the same color as your car? - $1K
Would you like the Porsche crest to be removed? - $1K
Would you like ... $ way to much
I get ala carte, but rather keep it to my ice cream choice haha. I think the MME options are fine and was happy to see I wasn't being forced to choose 100's of things
Sponsored

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Not enough configurations, IMO.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Would you like a valve stem to have the same color as your car? - $1K
Would you like the Porsche crest to be removed? - $1K
Would you like ... $ way to much
I get ala carte, but rather keep it to my ice cream choice haha. I think the MME options are fine and was happy to see I wasn't being forced to choose 100's of things
It's different when you sell small volume high profit cars vs a newly offered mass-produced vehicle/ mass market cars.

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
^^^ Bingo.

Glaring omission #1: no EX range Select option. There are buyers who want the extra range but not all of the extra features that the Premium model offers. And also didnā€™t want a CA Rt1. Weā€™re not those buyers so we happily ordered a 4X.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This is funny. The Mach-E has such few options compared to most vehicles. Don't buy a Porsche Taycan. You'll blow your brains out deciding what to option if the Mach E is too difficult.

Not everyone needs to be like Tesla. I like being able to configure a new car exactly uniquely for me (which is why I buy Porsche).

Being like Tesla in terms of simpler configuration isn't going to sell more cars in my opinion. A lot of people like options, especially if it deletes things they don't want/need and can save money. For example the comfort/tech package in a select.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

HAHA - Every opinion should have a counter. And I think I agree at the GT-PE level - maybe their could be more.

Last edited:

tbets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I'm kinda inclined to agree with there being some very odd configuration options, and perhaps maybe a bit too many, but I feel like this is something that will get sorted out in the future with the Mach-E. They need to strike a balance between enough configs, and it being way too barebones. I like Tesla and almost bought one over the Mach-E, but it just seems... like there's really only 2 true choices when it comes to buying (LR and performance). I know this is about Configs and not necessarily colors, but that's where Ford needs to kinda do the opposite. The color choices for the Mach-E seem so boring and dull for non GT trims...

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
^^^ Bingo.

Glaring omission #1: no EX range Select option. There are buyers who want the extra range but not all of the extra features that the Premium model offers. And also didnā€™t want a CA Rt1. Weā€™re not those buyers so we happily ordered a 4X.
The Select model did have the EX range for a time. At some point last year they removed that option, most likely to drive up sales for the Premium trim. To your point, it isn't available now and it would be a good option for those no frills people.

I think the configurations are fine. I want enough options to get what I want, but not be paralyzed with too many granular decisions. Generally I'm not a fan of super ridged configurations, but I get why some people like that approach, and why companies do too.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Proud Route 1 owner here. It's the perfect car if you live in a warmer climate. It's plenty quick while offering you the best range (I'm getting 350+ miles)
Proud Route 1 owner here and I live in Michigan.

It handles the snow quite fine thank you very much.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Actually, I think the Mustang Mach E line is sort of like the Steve Jobs product model. Consider:
When Steve first came back to apple, he drew a simple grid. Across the top, he wrote consumer and pro. Down the rows, he wrote laptop and desktop (I may have the precise titles and rows/columns mixed up). He then pared down the product line to fit that.
I see the Mustang Mach E following something similar:
3 columns: Value, Comfort, Performance
2 rows: range sensitive and price sensitive
And one additional dimension Steve didnā€™t have to worry about (so we have a cube, instead of a square): weather concerned and not weather concerned

the Mustang Mach E drops very neatly into that simple cube. The only configuration choices are essentially cosmetic and a technology package.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
I usually want all the options. I have a GTPE, but I don't want pano roof and I don't want Blue cruise. But I do want 360 cameras.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I doubt the team at Ford hasn't thought this or even monitors these forums on how to run their business but..

There are too configurations on the MACH-E , some that make no since. I assume they did this to see what the market wants, and since they have limited production anyhow maybe this isn't as disruptive as I see it. Here's my suggestion to Ford to simplify the offering and maybe help ramp production assuming you can get the parts needed.

1) Cali RT 1 - You've already offered it and no turning back. This should be the only RWD option and should be viewed as a compliance car.
2) Select AWD Only - Standard Range Battery + Comfort and Tech Package. (kill off the Appearance Pack)
3) Premium AWD Only - Extended Range Battery + Pano-roof + B+O system +LED Lights
4) GT-Select (aka current GT) - Extended Range Battery + GT front motor+ Solid body color roof+ Co-pilot 360
5) GT- Performance/Premium - Performance Battery - Upgraded Suspension - Pano-Roof- Co-pilot 360 - Performance software additions
Completely disagree with your premise. The more options, the better for people to get exactly what they want. No downside whatsoever.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Completely disagree with your premise. The more options, the better for people to get exactly what they want. No downside whatsoever.
Not entirely true. The less options the better it is for assembly. More options could theoretically increase the cost to produce the vehicle, which is a downside. although, that could possibly be canceled out by not paying for stuff you donā€™t want.
Thats Said, I would have liked more options. Would have loved a select with the upgraded headlights and maybe the 360 cameras but none of the other crap that comes with the premium.
Sponsored