TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just for reference (courtesy of ChasingCoral), here are the 12V connector points under the right-side frunk cover to do a jump/charge, for those desperate/adventurous enough to attempt it on their own.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Deep Sleep Mode - 12v battery drained dead [update: Mach-E jump started] InkedMach-E 12V battery trickle charge_LI

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Just for reference (courtesy of ChasingCoral), here are the 12V connector points under the right-side frunk cover to do a jump/charge, for those desperate/adventurous enough to do it on their own.

InkedMach-E 12V battery trickle charge_LI.jpg
If you connect a trickle charger to the charge port, would it charge the battery? Or do you absolutely have to take the panel off in the frunk

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you connect a trickle charger to the charge port, would it charge the battery? Or do you absolutely have to take the panel off in the frunk
Do you mean the 2 wires in the bumper? No, those only open the frunk release, nothing else.

AFAIK the only way to charge the 12V battery (when the car fails to do it itself) is connecting a charger to the battery itself (which is harder to get to) or to these access points (which aren't exactly easy either, since you have to remove the awkward cover). But it's easier than getting to the battery, which is tucked in underneath. The positive terminal is especially tricky to reach.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I better buy my 12v batter charger in prep for receiving my Mach E in 10 days... better have teh charger handy
I'm thinking the same, though the issues folks are reporting here really make me wonder if my wife is ready to be an early adopter. Maybe time to start considering an e-tron lease as a backup option.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Agreed. But in addition to the keyhole, it would also need a mechanical way to physically open the door or trunk. Even if the car is unlocked, there’s no way to get in without power since all of the latches are electronic.
OK, that was what I meant.... I suppose it is my fault for not being clear

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Do you mean the 2 wires in the bumper? No, those only open the frunk release, nothing else.

AFAIK the only way to charge the 12V battery (when the car fails to do it itself) is connecting a charger to the battery itself (which is harder to get to) or to these access points (which aren't exactly easy either, since you have to remove the awkward cover). But it's easier than getting to the battery, which is tucked in underneath. The positive terminal is especially tricky to reach.
Makes one think about cutting a couple of circular holes in the cover above the battery for access, then figure out a way to fill the hole with something easily removed. Especially if this is going to be a thing for a while......sounds like removing the two internal covers to get at the 12V battery will get old fast, especially if anywhere other than inside your garage.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I'm thinking the same, though the issues folks are reporting here really make me wonder if my wife is ready to be an early adopter. Maybe time to start considering an e-tron lease as a backup option.
I am not telling or going to tell my wife these issues or issues we may have once i get the car (unless it bricks out on us or frequent dealer visits). she wont be ready for all this stuff nor remember any pointers I might have for her. She will have to just use the fob and drive like regular ICE without any feature use.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I better buy my 12v batter charger in prep for receiving my Mach E in 10 days... better have teh charger handy
I thought everybody had these these days. With COVID and all I've had to use ours so much it died and I had to buy a new one and this was on all the ICE cars that have been sitting around because nobody is going in to work.

Reactions: ARK

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the responses and help. I've had this portable jump starter for two years and never used it for my ICE cars. Just had it and charged ready to go. I opened the front bumper panel, connected the reds and blacks, frunk opened. Then the fun part began. Taking off the back panel then windshield washer side panel. What a pain in the ass. Two of the clips are now somewhere under the hood for the back panel.

Jump started a car, my very first time, and she came back to life. HOWEVER, now I have the same powertrain issue Savage has. Made appointment with dealer already online. Thank you again everyone!! Will update when my dealer figures it out.

Screenshot_20210214-165023_FordPass.jpg
you now are a powertrain failure club member, we share the badge and honor. Please follow up with what they find.

note that it might go away on its own but has come back for me 3 times.

dealer most likely is just going to reset things as the first action of solving it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Deep Sleep Mode - 12v battery drained dead [update: Mach-E jump started] 760BA732-43F6-4263-A053-1719B62C4E5A

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
I am not telling or going to tell my wife these issues or issues we may have once i get the car (unless it bricks out on us or frequent dealer visits). she wont be ready for all this stuff nor remember any pointers I might have for her. She will have to just use the fob and drive like regular ICE without any feature use.
This has been my strategy as well. I mean, the first anything is going to have some issues (glitchy infotainment, for instance), but cars that can't be opened or suddenly can't be driven (especially while already out on the road) is not something that I had considered as acceptable.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I thought everybody had these these days. With COVID and all I've had to use ours so much it died and I had to buy a new one and this was on all the ICE cars that have been sitting around because nobody is going in to work.
Haha - i am not handy with cars ; used to jumper cables somewhere have to find them. But we start our cars and use them a few times a week (groceries etc) at a minimum. I did have to replace my ICE battery completely as t died after 2 years of use.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Wow. I hope Ford is following this. I'm not going to pay $55k for a car that goes into 'brick' mode in 27F degree weather. We easily get waaay below that in NJ in a bad winter (like this one).

If I don't see some good answers from Ford I'm out.

I've owned ICE cars my entire life and jumped one exactly twice (in 40 years) and it was easy - pop the hood (manually), connect the charger, start...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford's confidence in there "never being a need to charge the low voltage battery" reminds me a bit about how the designers of the M-16 didn't engineer in a way to clear a jam because "the design never gets jammed". The only way to clear a jam was to field strip the M-16. It turned out that the M-16 actually could jam in real combat, to the horror of GIs under fire.
Sponsored