21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
There is officially a TSB for this problem now, separate from the one linked to earlier. See https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/8/22373903/mustang-mach-e-deep-sleep-12v-battery-jump-start
If they're going to regurgitate information from the forum, at least they could read the thread they're referencing to see why somebody added access holes for the battery. It wasn't because they couldn't get to the battery even after removing the panel. Sheesh.

"...have to pull back a panel underneath the hood to find the battery — though even at this point, some owners have had trouble accessing the leads on the 12-volt battery and have had to cut through the vinyl to jump-start the battery."

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
If they're going to regurgitate information from the forum, at least they could read the thread they're referencing to see why somebody added access holes for the battery. It wasn't because they couldn't get to the battery even after removing the panel. Sheesh.

"...have to pull back a panel underneath the hood to find the battery — though even at this point, some owners have had trouble accessing the leads on the 12-volt battery and have had to cut through the vinyl to jump-start the battery."
I think the statement as-is is fair. After all, in order to take the panels off, you're likely going to end up breaking some plastic bits (I know I did) so you're already going to cause damage and it requires a lot of strength to pull those clips out. And before it was known there was a fix if you were looking at the prospect of doing that multiple times you might well consider it to be trouble accessing the leads and just drill a hole.

Personally, I strongly considered the hole route, and mainly didn't because I didn't have the right size bit :)

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wouldn't have wanted to pull those panels by hand, especially not in some poorly lit parking lot in rain or snow! It is really dumb that FORD did not simply make two more little doors for the 12V jump points (or one big door) like the little doors over the headlights (Hey FORD!)

That said, on a nice sunny day in the driveway with trim tools, they came out easy with no damage several times now. To be completely honest, as careful as I was, I did manage to lose one of those slide in fasteners, that was annoying.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
I checked my panels today and it appear there is at least 2 broken clips. I never removed them myself, dealer had and my ppf installer had to. I don’t want to blame anyone but it looks easy to break ??‍♂

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I checked my panels today and it appear there is at least 2 broken clips. I never removed them myself, dealer had and my ppf installer had to. I don’t want to blame anyone but it looks easy to break ??‍♂
One thing I noticed when I removed my panels. At first I thought I had lost some of the plastic clips but I discovered that the clips were still in their holes but had pulled free from the panels when it was removed. I pried them out of the holes put them back in the panels and popped the panels back into place. Definitely worth checking.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
One thing I noticed when I removed my panels. At first I thought I had lost some of the plastic clips but I discovered that the clips were still in their holes but had pulled free from the panels when it was removed. I pried them out of the holes put them back in the panels and popped the panels back into place. Definitely worth checking.
That happened to one of mine for the main clips but the clips at the very corner are different and I could hear it falling down inside somewhere when I popped that part of the vinyl out :-/

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Is there any advantage to removing the frunk plastic dividers in anticipation of needing to jump start in the future? I have no use for the dividers and if it will help me in the unlikely case I need to jump start the 12v then I'll gladly take them out

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Is there any advantage to removing the frunk plastic dividers in anticipation of needing to jump start in the future? I have no use for the dividers and if it will help me in the unlikely case I need to jump start the 12v then I'll gladly take them out
I would leave then on for whatever weather protection they afford. If you are concerned, keep a couple of trim tools in the frunk, and pop the top back panel and right side panel strip off on a sunny day to get used to disassembly.

The odds of this type of 12V LVB failure that needs a jump seem to go down with every passing month, between the TSB, updates, and later software on production vehicles. There have only been a handful of reports since the first batch of flat 12V LVBs months back now.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
No. There is no need to remove the dividers or the main cargo basin in the frunk to access the battery charge terminals.

To access the battery charge terminals, you really need to remove the panel on the left side of the cargo basin (the driver side ... same side where you'd plug the charge cable into the car). BUT... BEFORE you can pull that panel off, you have to remove the panel behind the cargo basin (along nearer to the windshield) because it overlaps the panel on the left.

No tools are needed.

Everything "snaps" on/off ... just pull straight up to pop them out (the snaps are strong ... so you will need to pull firmly.) I thought I had a photo ... but checking my phone history apparently I neglected to take a photo of it.

Don't connect a battery charger DIRECTLY to the 12v battery ... they have marked the charge terminals and you'll see those when you pull the panel off.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
... No tools are needed ...
If I have them, I would always use trim tools to gently unsnap each fastener one at a time. Some have lost fasteners and even broken the panels by handling them too roughly. In a bad situation out in a parking lot, do what you need to do. Otherwise, consider some type of pry type plastic trim tools to more carefully unsnap the two panels. I keep two trim tools wrapped in a microfiber cloth in the one side of the divider that I left in (along with the jump pack and 10mm socket, extender and handle, for lifting the 12V ground terminal for electrical work or a cold boot).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So that power train error message in the ford pass I have seen once before when charging at an Electrify America station. It occurred after i got the "charge station failure" error that happens from time to time, but have thought nothing of it. Should I bring my vehicle to the dealership?
Wait to see if it comes back again.
Sponsored