Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Something to think about - we've discussed how the 12V frunk release only functions with a dead 12V battery - it is locked out by a relay when the 12V battery is healthy. This means that the lockout relay is constantly energized by the 12V battery. We don't know the specs on this relay, but the coil has to use some amount of power. If the car sits long enough without something charging the 12V battery, it's going to die. Not if, but when. Will it take a week to die? a month? two months?
My old truck that I traded in had a small coolant leak (divulged) so it was not driven for a few months and had to charge it once. We are talking a day (hours) on the MME. Not apples to apples. Can still get in so (and could use front wires) if we had two posts coming out a hole in the cover where those +/- are written it is a simple task of charging the 12V.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm not picking up my car until this gets sorted out.
I’m thinking the same thing.
You'll miss out on all the fun of being an early adopter: Not only will you be able to shred it going down the road but you'll have endless hours of fun trying to figure out how to get into your car.

Note that there seems to be just a few vehicles so far (counting more than the ones just reported here) out of all the deliveries having an issue. There are plenty of people on here without a problem with their Mach-E's (I'd include myself in that; of course I likely just jinxed myself LOL).

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
You'll miss out on all the fun of being an early adopter: Not only will you be able to shred it going down the road but you'll have endless hours of fun trying to figure out how to get into your car.

Note that there seems to be just a few vehicles so far (counting more than the ones just reported here) out of all the deliveries having an issue. There are plenty of people on here without a problem with their Mach-E's (I'd include myself in that; of course I likely just jinxed myself LOL).
Yeah. I’m probably going to get it but I might carry a jump box with me (outside the car). I’d really like to know how widespread it is vs. the few on here. (Very sorry for those few!) and how long it might be to globally fix (hopefully ota!) I have a lot of patience for many early adopter things, but it’s got to drive. totally bricked, even once, means it’s going to the dealer permanently until it’s fixed which is then just a waste of car payment. 3 weeks or so until delivery...

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
UPDATE: I was the first person at the dealership this morning for their service team to look at the vehicle. They were able to look up the vehicle diagnostics and see that there was a power train fault. Their first instinct was the 12v battery. They pulled it and ran tests on the 12v battery and said it came back fine. They put it back in and took it for a drive. No issues. So, they gave me my keys and off I went.

They made a note of it and sent the information on to Ford. They also said this was the first one that they have seen problems with...I laughed as they have only sold two and told them they're hitting 500. So, I am the guinea pig for this dealership and their service team. The price we pay for being early adopters I think is worth it! It's like driving a Unicorn with all of the stares and looks people give. Two people in below zero temperatures have already rolled down their windows at stop lights to talk about it.

I will continue to monitor the situation and update here. But hey, a warm up is coming, we'll be hitting a high of 10 degrees F today in the St Paul area!! This weekend we may even finally get into the 20's!!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
UPDATE: I was the first person at the dealership this morning for their service team to look at the vehicle. They were able to look up the vehicle diagnostics and see that there was a power train fault. Their first instinct was the 12v battery. They pulled it and ran tests on the 12v battery and said it came back fine. They put it back in and took it for a drive. No issues. So, they gave me my keys and off I went.

They made a note of it and sent the information on to Ford. They also said this was the first one that they have seen problems with...I laughed as they have only sold two and told them they're hitting 500. So, I am the guinea pig for this dealership and their service team. The price we pay for being early adopters I think is worth it! It's like driving a Unicorn with all of the stares and looks people give. Two people in below zero temperatures have already rolled down their windows at stop lights to talk about it.

I will continue to monitor the situation and update here. But hey, a warm up is coming, we'll be hitting a high of 10 degrees F today in the St Paul area!! This weekend we may even finally get into the 20's!!
So basically they did nothing and told you nothing. Hardly worth getting out of bed for that.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
So basically they did nothing and told you nothing. Hardly worth getting out of bed for that.
Actually they figured out it's not the battery itself. That's an important piece of data. He further has it documented in his file. Important piece of data in case it turns out to be a lemon. From a problem finding perspective and legal perspective, it's very much worth getting out of bed.

I think people easily forget these are incredibly complicated pieces of machinery with millions of lines of code in their software. We get accustomed to things just working right when the reality is there is a ton of trial and error. It's a false narrative to say this technology has been around for a while. You can't just take what the other guy did. That's IP theft. You have to build from the ground up and that comes with a lot of trial and error. (see basically every piece of technology amazon built or google. Anyone remember the microsoft zune?)

We all took a risk buying a new car. Ford might have been in this business for quite a while but this is still their first ground-up BEV. There will be problems. So giving them data to sort these problems, even if it is just a battery is functioning properly, is important to working out the problems. If you're not comfortable with that risk, that's fine and very reasonable. (i'm ok with it because i drive 10-20 miles a day and could take the lightrail if necessary or use my wife's car). There's a growing market of options.

Personally this forum has given me more calm about this, as it is a stark reminder of what I signed up for but also because it is a friendly place to find solutions. I relayed a lot of the concerns I've seen on this site to my dealer, so he can be better prepared (my dealer was bought by a better auto group here in CO) for the day my MME arrives. I told him i've spent a lot of time learning about these vehicles and BEVs in general. I would appreciate if my salesman had the same basic knowledge I do. So while it can be unnerving to see all the issues, big and small, remember it will only make the vehicle better.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I know. just being facetious. hungry for an answer form Ford with my delivery imminent.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
I know. just being facetious. hungry for an answer form Ford with my delivery imminent.
My bad then. Sorry for that. Missed the context.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Actually they figured out it's not the battery itself. That's an important piece of data. He further has it documented in his file. Important piece of data in case it turns out to be a lemon. From a problem finding perspective and legal perspective, it's very much worth getting out of bed.

I think people easily forget these are incredibly complicated pieces of machinery with millions of lines of code in their software. We get accustomed to things just working right when the reality is there is a ton of trial and error. It's a false narrative to say this technology has been around for a while. You can't just take what the other guy did. That's IP theft. You have to build from the ground up and that comes with a lot of trial and error. (see basically every piece of technology amazon built or google. Anyone remember the microsoft zune?)

We all took a risk buying a new car. Ford might have been in this business for quite a while but this is still their first ground-up BEV. There will be problems. So giving them data to sort these problems, even if it is just a battery is functioning properly, is important to working out the problems. If you're not comfortable with that risk, that's fine and very reasonable. (i'm ok with it because i drive 10-20 miles a day and could take the lightrail if necessary or use my wife's car). There's a growing market of options.

Personally this forum has given me more calm about this, as it is a stark reminder of what I signed up for but also because it is a friendly place to find solutions. I relayed a lot of the concerns I've seen on this site to my dealer, so he can be better prepared (my dealer was bought by a better auto group here in CO) for the day my MME arrives. I told him i've spent a lot of time learning about these vehicles and BEVs in general. I would appreciate if my salesman had the same basic knowledge I do. So while it can be unnerving to see all the issues, big and small, remember it will only make the vehicle better.
you basically confirmed what I thought since in the other thread the person was able to start it the next day so really is looking more and more like a calibration issue with the inverter

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Actually they figured out it's not the battery itself.
Has anyone besides me had the experience of having a diagnoses similar to that on another vehicle?

And then found out that, yes, it was a bad battery.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag