gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Would've been a lot more useful if it had power-open feature. I would've happily paid $500-$1000 more if that was an option. Wife spent 5 minutes trying to close it in a parking lot this morning. All the slamming is just going to whack the headlight aiming out of alignment.

Plenty of space in there. Would've been nice to have access to it without so much hassle.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Those bump stops are adjustable, if you do not adjust them they do seem to seat in over time. Mine I had to slam a bit at first but now it closes like one would expect.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'd be weary of electrical closers. I've been hot-rodding for a while and I resisted adding this feature to my hot rod's trunk. They can fail leaving the only remedy a system to pull release pins or fire axe.

Also, there is no hard capture unless you install a closure/lock system. One thing we don't want is for a worn system in a 20 year old Mach E failing and breaking the windshield with the Frunk lid at 75mph.

I'd be surprised if any manufacturer under $80K installs one.

I'd love to do it, but .....

wind the adjusters down a half turn. I close mine with a flick of the wrist at chest height.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The trick is to lower the hood until there’s no more resistance from struts and flick it closed (like a foot or so from the latch). That’s the only way it works for me, but it won’t work on a steep incline for some reason lol.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
F-150 has it and will sell for under $80k...

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'd be weary of electrical closers. I've been hot-rodding for a while and I resisted adding this feature to my hot rod's trunk. They can fail leaving the only remedy a system to pull release pins or fire axe.

Also, there is no hard capture unless you install a closure/lock system. One thing we don't want is for a worn system in a 20 year old Mach E failing and breaking the windshield with the Frunk lid at 75mph.

I'd be surprised if any manufacturer under $80K installs one.

I'd love to do it, but .....

wind the adjusters down a half turn. I close mine with a flick of the wrist at chest height.
Wouldn’t it still be OK to force it sometimes even if the electric motor wasn’t working? I thought this is how electric lift gates/trunks work, where you’re not supposed to force it by hand, but if it’s malfunctioning it’s OK to sometimes force it.

I think the F150 Lightning’s frunk will be automatic in this way.

Due to the creation of handprints, I agree 100% with OP that I would use it more if I could open and close it without touching the hood.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
How often do you use the frunk, and for what?

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
How often do you use the frunk, and for what?
The frunk is great for people who live in super high property crime cities (Portland, LA, SF, Seattle) where your car will get broken into if they even see a candy bar inside. If you absolutely have to leave something in the car, people can’t see inside the frunk and move on to an easier victim.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Wouldn’t it still be OK to force it sometimes even if the electric motor wasn’t working? I thought this is how electric lift gates/trunks work, where you’re not supposed to force it by hand, but if it’s malfunctioning it’s OK to sometimes force it.

I think the F150 Lightning’s frunk will be automatic in this way.

Due to the creation of handprints, I agree 100% with OP that I would use it more if I could open and close it without touching the hood.
Then the hurricane force wind will certainly be a worry. It works on car's trunks... no hurricane back there. When they are used on hoods on customs is always with a safety latch. On the Mach E that is built in. Getting the actuators to wait til the hood is free.... that's the real deal there.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Smash and grabs are a problem in Oakland. Even cars with nothing visible as they assume an SUV has valuables in the back. We plan on using frunk quite a bit.
In general I try to keep my car empty for this reason, I will try to avoid keeping even a jacket on a seat if I’m in a seedy part of town so that someone looking in doesn’t think I’m hiding something valuable underneath.
Sponsored