GT Performance Edition vs Standard GT worth it?

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I picked the GT over the GTPE for the following reasons:

1. I prefer the look of the standard GT copper interior over the silver GTPE interior.
  2. I wanted the glass roof but didn't want blue cruise. 360 cameras aren't necessary because the car has front/rear radar and mirrors but I wish that I could have purchased the cameras without the blue cruise subscription hardware.
  3. I wanted to pick my own summer tire and rim package. The all seasons will serve as my winter set until they wear out... then I'll buy a set of true winters.
  4. I (still) want to purchase fully adjustable coil overs. This is not an option with magnaride GTPEs
Sponsored

Z-one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mache GTPE
Country flag
I just traded in my GT for GTPE mainly because I couldn’t stand the suspension on the GT.

I hope the magnaride lasts more than 3 years!!! I assume they isn’t covered under the extended warranty?

While the dealer marked up the PE they gave new a little above msrp for my GT and with the second credit it cost me $4,500 out the door. Illinois also now offers a $4,000 rebate so if I get that it cost $500.

Part of my deal was to swap tires so while they got brand new Pireli to keep I got all season with 2k miles so I don’t have to deal with getting another set or swapping out.

I am getting use to the PE seats right now I can tolerate but don’t love them. Definitely less cushion on the seat especially in the back.

As for the suspension it is better but not amazing.

Z-one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mache GTPE
Country flag
Glad to hear this from a GT --> GTPE owner. I think this further solidifies that I'll just spend the $$$ on the KW coil overs
If you have a premium definitely wouldn’t upgrade to a PE. Personally I would try the coilovers or find another car.

For me the cost of Coilover with install would have been more than going GT to PE thanks to the government and all its rebates. Plus got lucky finding one by my house willing to work with me. Didn’t do as good as others with buying at msrp but it was the right deal at the right time.

BTRYPWRDPONY

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE GTPE DMG
Country flag
If you have a premium definitely wouldn’t upgrade to a PE. Personally I would try the coilovers or find another car.

For me the cost of Coilover with install would have been more than going GT to PE thanks to the government and all its rebates. Plus got lucky finding one by my house willing to work with me. Didn’t do as good as others with buying at msrp but it was the right deal at the right time.
If you don't mind me asking, which dealer did you use for the PE?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As for the suspension it is better but not amazing.
I'm realizing this too.

What's so great about MagneRide at city speeds? It's still bouncy. Actually maybe worse then a Premium 4X.

I drive two EVs that are polar opposites. A MINI electric with a harsh suspension but the car is always planted on the road. Handling is crisp all the time. The GTPE is mushy. It's almost as bad as a RAV4. I test drove an 2022 ID.4 AWD and a Ariya the weekend after getting my GTPE and the suspension on those are refined.

I didn't care for the micro-bouncy firm Model Y suspension and I'd say the GTPE has a micro-bouncy soggy suspension that's almost as bad. It might be the extra weight because I LOVED how my first RWD SR drove/handled.

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
Is the GT PE worth it over the Standard GT? Are the GT PE seats comfy enough for a long trip? thx
I like the wheels better but the magnetic ride suspension was the biggest reason. It rides really nicely.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
Honestly, I do not see any big deal with the suspension on the GT. I have 2 Porsches and they are also very hard suspension. Sure when I go over speed bumps its bouncy, but driving on the hiway and backroads I do not see any big deal difference in suspension. So while I have not driven a GTPE, I dont have any issues with my GT. As for the wheels, up in the Northeast I did not want summer tires, so the all seasons on the GT mean I dont have to buy a second set of winter tires. As others have said, if the GTPE gave me no 5s limit or significantly more power or speed then I would have said sure, and forked over the extra pocket change. But as it is, I did not see the need to 'step up' for the GTPE. Matter of fact I like the flower-petal look of the GT rims better than the spokey looking GTPE wheels.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
After a 300 mile round trip over the weekend...

Unbridled - very firm, almost no bounce.
Engaged - same as Premium.
Whisper - super fricking bouncy.

I really would love if Ford allowed me to use Unbridled's suspension WITH the throttle mapping of Whisper. Unbridled throttle mapping is too sensitive for small neighborhoods with speed bumps and I don't want to ride a bucking bronco in Whisper mode.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
After a 300 mile round trip over the weekend...

Unbridled - very firm, almost no bounce.
Engaged - same as Premium.
Whisper - super fricking bouncy.

I really would love if Ford allowed me to use Unbridled's suspension WITH the throttle mapping of Whisper. Unbridled throttle mapping is too sensitive for small neighborhoods with speed bumps and I don't want to ride a bucking bronco in Whisper mode.
Yeah, the lack of a custom setting is a real miss.

Maybe there is some technical reason that is hard to overcome making the Mach-E suspension the way it is, but a lack of a custom setting where people can at least mix and match features from all three drive modes is the low hanging fruit they left on the tree.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
Took delivery of a GT, no pee yesterday.

Immediately drove 480 miles. I love the suspension and wouldn't change a thing. Very happy. It is not bouncy. Maybe it's just mine, but it's smooth. Really smooth. Felt kinda lux. No issues. Love the no pee seats where I can reach the back seat and the all season tires. I like the flower petal wheels. A happy driver.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My original GT bounce seemed to settle down after a few thousand miles. It’s still not a plush ride but it’s comfortable enough for thousand mile round trips on the road. I sat in the GTPE and the shoulder bolsters bugged the crap out of me. I’m not sure I could deal with that full time.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
I just ordered a 23 GT instead of the GTPE. Not a lot of choices anymore, you kind of get what you get, and it was 50/50 on the difference for me. I am not into the copper line in the GT interior, but I don't like the metallic applique on the GTPE dash either. I like the look of the seats more in the GTPE, but I did not like losing adjustment in the headrest. 10 miles and the fraction of seconds in acceleration weren't a big deal either way. The MagneRide might be the thing I regret not going PE. But if I don't know the difference will I miss it? And I'm not interested in switching tires out seasonally in Illinois. Just ordered so I could always change but I'm feeling like neither is a perfect option.

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
I just ordered a 23 GT instead of the GTPE. Not a lot of choices anymore, you kind of get what you get, and it was 50/50 on the difference for me. I am not into the copper line in the GT interior, but I don't like the metallic applique on the GTPE dash either. I like the look of the seats more in the GTPE, but I did not like losing adjustment in the headrest. 10 miles and the fraction of seconds in acceleration weren't a big deal either way. The MagneRide might be the thing I regret not going PE. But if I don't know the difference will I miss it? And I'm not interested in switching tires out seasonally in Illinois. Just ordered so I could always change but I'm feeling like neither is a perfect option.
I'm also in Illinois. I have an ICE Mustang with magna ride. The Mach e GT is smoother than the ICE with magna ride. It's a firm ride, definitely my GT is not bouncy. I'm really thrilled. The GT is fast, smooth and also corners great. Beyond happy with this 22

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
I'm also in Illinois. I have an ICE Mustang with magna ride. The Mach e GT is smoother than the ICE with magna ride. It's a firm ride, definitely my GT is not bouncy. I'm really thrilled. The GT is fast, smooth and also corners great. Beyond happy with this 22
That's good to hear. Makes me feel a little better. I have an explorer and a miata so this will feel new regardless for me.

I see you are very near by. I'm Vernon Hills. Did you take delivery from Napleton?
Sponsored