Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Further, it loses energy between the charger and the vehicle. Figure 8 - 12%.
I'm sure you meant something like this, because it's literally just a wire between the car and the EVSE.

Where are you getting this 8-12%? If this loss is actual, it would be something the engineers would want to solve.
Sponsored

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Thereā€™s no way it used that. The charger is likely reporting that incorrectly.
I agree. There's no way the car can consume 65kWh sitting still.

I happen to catch my MME sipping some power this week while in my cold 35F garage. I have a Wallbox Pulsar charger. The lights are white while plugged in and not sending any power. I just so happened to be in the garage when it turned blue. Pulled up my solar app to check the consumption. It was drawing about 200W, presumably to warm the battery.

BTW, when I remote start it to preheat the cabin while plugged in, it draws between 5-6kW.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm sure you meant something like this, because it's literally just a wire between the car and the EVSE.

Where are you getting this 8-12%? If this loss is actual, it would be something the engineers would want to solve.
It's a well-known fact that there is a loss between what leaved the house and what the vehicle takes in. Discussed in several threads.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...for-my-mach-e-standard-awd.12935/#post-316740

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

The actual charger is in the car. The charger takes the incoming 120VAC/240VAC from the wall and converts it into the appropriate DC voltage to charge the battery. That transformation has losses. It is somewhere between 88% and 92% efficient. All EVs have this conversion loss. so basically it takes 11 kWh of power drawn from the wall to put 10 kWh back into the battery.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The actual charger is in the car. The charger takes the incoming 120VAC/240VAC from the wall and converts it into the appropriate DC voltage to charge the battery. That transformation has losses. It is somewhere between 88% and 92% efficient. All EVs have this conversion loss. so basically it takes 11 kWh of power drawn from the wall to put 10 kWh back into the battery.
This is correct. Some DC fast chargers are more efficient than the onboard charger l and may only have 5% or less losses, although it depends on the manufacturer. I know Iā€™ve seen some models claiming greater than 95% conversion efficiency.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
any 'inverter/converter' has internal losses.
probably 5%-10% between 240ac and 400vDC battery
and then another 3%-10% between 400vDC battery and drive motor inverter

The total efficiency would have to look at the actual kWhr pulled from the wall (showing up on Utility meter), and the actual Energy output of motor... which would suffer a little additional loss in mechanical drivetrain, rolling resistance, air, AND some amount bleeding off to 12v accessory loads and heating/cooling.

When the MME is not being driven, the 'pre-conditioning' loads can be significant.

When left plugged in in a cold place, I think the MMEs wake up periodically to precondition the battery temp, but not the cabin..... you can probably reduce that to a minimum by UNPLUGGING if you don't plan to use the car for a couple days; and plug it back in about 1/2 hour before you plan to drive to precondition on grid power before departure.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Hello,

I'm facing an issue where my MME draws a lot of energy from the charger while sleeping. Over the last 3 days (77 hours to be exact), the car was plugged in, off, not charging because target level was reached by far (target 50%, actual 68%). However, the charging station reported a total consumption of 65kwh. This is huge.
It was quite cold (-4C), and I know the MME takes some energy peaks to keep the battery not too cold, but drawing 65kwh for not driving a single mile is not acceptable. Anyone else facing a similar issue?

Many thanks
25F is not that cold. I think you have departure schedules set so your MME is running each night. Remove all departure schedules at the MME console and FordPass.

By the way, you are probably the only person on this forum that charges to 50% or 68% maximum. Set your charge goal % to 80% - 90%

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I would say that energy draw is 'predictable'.... if the MME is stored or left plugged in where the ambient temp is -4C, the internal e-heat will remain on to keep battery warm. considering the lack of insulation on the battery tray (for cooling), it's going to suck a lot of energy keeping warm the whole time.

you'd be better off unplugging until 1/2 hour before driving and letting it pre-condition then.
Not completely true there. Lithium batteries do not like to get to hot or cold for long life. Now storage temperature is wider than usages they still donā€™t like to get to hot or cold so if plugged in the battery management will kick in to either heat or cool the pack. As for the original poster I would question the reporting device and try to line it up to say your power provider and see if you can find the draw. I know I can spot my cars charging by looking at a spike in power and it is noticeable

Holy Driver

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Is your charger public reachable?
Is it possible to remove the cable from the box so that someone could plugin another cable to charge the car?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Ah, but that's IN the EVSE, not just the wire going to the car. This makes sense.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Ah, but that's IN the EVSE, not just the wire going to the car. This makes sense.
The EVSE doesnā€™t do the AC to DC conversion. That happens in the car. All that the EVSE does is tell the car the total amps available to be drawn, and has a set of relays that doesnā€™t let electricity flow until it is safe to do so and the car commands it. The EVSE is just a smart safety switch.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
The EVSE doesnā€™t do the AC to DC conversion. That happens in the car. All that the EVSE does is tell the car the total amps available to be drawn, and has a set of relays that doesnā€™t let electricity flow until it is safe to do so and the car commands it. The EVSE is just a smart safety switch.
If this is true, then the vampire losses are in the car as it converts, I assume shed as heat. This makes much more sense than a wire (or EVSE) getting hot enough to account for the 10% loss... mine doesn't.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
If this is true, then the vampire losses are in the car as it converts, I assume shed as heat. This makes much more sense than a wire (or EVSE) getting hot enough to account for the 10% loss... mine doesn't.
That is correct. However, itā€™s not all loss due to conversion. Some power from the wall is used during charging to run various electronics and the battery thermal management system.

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge power draw while sleeping IMG_4240
So, Reddit has some folks seeing what Iā€™ve seen related to this post. I had a power bill that was well more than double I had ever seen a couple of months last year, and I finally saw this when I woke up. According to Reddit, some non-ford chargers (Grizzl-E is what I and one other victim used) were seeing massive energy draws with little to no charging. The fans/pumps stay on even though no charging is happening. I am in cold Colorado, but I also do not believe that the above power draw could be possible for cabin preconditioning over that period of time. That is over 10x my home usage just going to this charger for the time period.

I didnā€™t see a fix on Reddit, does anyone have an answer from Ford?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Huge power draw while sleeping IMG_4240
So, Reddit has some folks seeing what Iā€™ve seen related to this post. I had a power bill that was well more than double I had ever seen a couple of months last year, and I finally saw this when I woke up. According to Reddit, some non-ford chargers (Grizzl-E is what I and one other victim used) were seeing massive energy draws with little to no charging. The fans/pumps stay on even though no charging is happening. I am in cold Colorado, but I also do not believe that the above power draw could be possible for cabin preconditioning over that period of time. That is over 10x my home usage just going to this charger for the time period.

I didnā€™t see a fix on Reddit, does anyone have an answer from Ford?

what is the temperature where you are charging ?

if <50F, and you are on powerup 6.x, you could have the 'bad' update that is spending energy pre-heating your battery even when L1 or L2 charging.

I believe there is a TSB out to fix this finally, but I dunno if it is being delivered OTA.