dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
I love my MME, but while it's in the shop getting a high voltage battery replacement for the "service vehicle soon" error, I heard that there were at least 2 other MMEs at the AutoNation Ford Frisco that had battery issues and needed replacements.

Since that was just at one dealership here in the DFW area, I'm curious to hear how often this is actually happening and if this is something more common in the TX region or globally.

EDIT: Here's my battery journey so far: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...he-dreaded-turtle-wrench-and-error-icon.7085/
Sponsored

Last edited:

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
I’m at 3.5 weeks and 1200 miles on my AWD+ER with no battery issues at all. FWIW, I charge every night to 90%.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have had my AWD ER for 3 months and 1200 miles and no battery issues. Since I work from home and split driving time with the Model 3, I usually charge once each week (share the EVSE between the cars). I do have the loud fan noise during charging since I am using full 48 amps the car can accept. I charge to 90%.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks folks! Sounds like mine was driven a little less. I've had my MME RWD ER for 4 months (delivered February 2021 but built back in December 2020) and was at about 1000 miles before I had the issue. Only charged once every 2 weeks with a 40A EVSE in our garage.

mak0313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
Thanks folks! Sounds like mine was driven a little less. I've had my MME RWD ER for 4 months (delivered February 2021 but built back in December 2020) and was at about 1000 miles before I had the issue. Only charged once every 2 weeks with a 40A EVSE in our garage.
I am in Texas and had an issue just after 10k miles. At first they were going to replace the high volt battery and then ended up only replacing the energy control module.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...nd-says-stop-vehicle-safely.6698/#post-191692

usmcsatcom

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’m in Houston and have 2500 miles with no issues, battery or otherwise (except PAAK). Knock Knock (wood)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are those outside of Texas who have NOT had issues supposed to vote? Just asking because you have a "Yes - outside Texas" option

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are those outside of Texas who have NOT had issues supposed to vote? Just asking because you have a "Yes - outside Texas" option
Good point @timbop. Yes, feel free to vote! Started out originally thinking just in Texas as I put this in the Texas regional forum area, but expanded out the options see if it's a more prevalent issue.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Good point @timbop. Yes, feel free to vote! Started out originally thinking just in Texas as I put this in the Texas regional forum area, but expanded out the options see if it's a more prevalent issue.
Cool, but I wish there were an option "I'm afraid I'd jinx myself if I voted."

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I always keep my MME plugged in when not in use. IIRC, the owners manual for the MME doesn't specifically state that, but the manual for the Volt I owned previously did and I know Tesla also recommends to plug in when the vehicle is not in use. That enables the car to use wall power to run the battery thermal management system. I never noticed my Volt running the battery cooling system when it wasn't plugged in and so far I can say the same about the MME. I think by not plugging in, you're exposing the battery to higher temps and that's not good for battery life.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I always keep my MME plugged in when not in use. IIRC, the owners manual for the MME doesn't specifically state that, but the manual for the Volt I owned previously did and I know Tesla also recommends to plug in when the vehicle is not in use. That enables the car to use wall power to run the battery thermal management system. I never noticed my Volt running the battery cooling system when it wasn't plugged in and so far I can say the same about the MME. I think by not plugging in, you're exposing the battery to higher temps and that's not good for battery life.
Actually I found in the manual that it indirectly states it should be plugged in when below freezing and above 113F. See page 149 in the manual regarding Storage Temperature. For my Bolt, GM recommends below freezing and above 90F.

I can also tell you that when the temperature display on the Mach E goes above 110 in Phoenix, it tells me to plug the car in due to high temps. That said, the temperature displayed is typically 10 deg higher than actual and temps in Phoenix summers are always above 100, so I get that message every day.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. I never got any temperature warning or notifications on my MME and temps were definitely still below 90 degrees in the garage, but ?

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Administrator could you move this thread under the Issues section as expanding it beyond just Texas? Curious to see how prevalent the issue actually is amongst MME owners.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the move!!

Now that this thread is in the main Issues forum, let's see how many people globally on this forum have actually had issues with their high voltage batteries in their MME. Really curious to see what the metrics lol like as it seems more of these posts seem to be popping up lately.
Sponsored