Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken, to connect a backup battery source to the 12V (per the Ford instruction the dealer is supposed to when performing the update), they have to take apart the front truck correct? Yeah I'd rather not have them rip things apart.
I'm keeping mine away from the dealer after hearing what happened earlier in this thread.

@Ford Motor Company any possibility of allowing a 2nd FOB to be programmed for free for Mach-E owners if we provide it? No cost to you guys and will allow my family to move the car without waking me up and being slightly annoyed. PaaK doesn't work at all for me (oddly did before 2 days ago) and family is a bit upset

At the same time I don't want to brick Eleanor, so I'm in a tight spot. I have an eBay FOB on the way.

If we order a proper FOB / ford certified one from you or eBay, would Ford allow Mach-E owners a one time exemption to program a 2nd fob due to PaaK issues?

If not, all good - thank you for your reply and update!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
On Monday, I made an appointment for the service which was scheduled for this morning. After reading Kamuelaflyer’s meme, I thought, perhaps I shouldn’t go. Mine too was fine—it was working only when I had the app opened— but that was fine. It didn’t bother me and everything else was perfect. I should have listened to those instints and that advice! While waiting at the dealer, I got an alert on FordPass “High Voltage Battery warning”—electrical system fault detected. That didn’t sound good. Then the service rep came out and told me the good news and the bad news. The good news is they did the update. The bad news was my Mustang Mach E is now dead!! Totally dead in the work bay. They don’t know what to do and gave me a loaner until they can figure it out. I am a bit upset right now, and trying to stay calm by telling myself that it will be ok and that that my MME will run fine again once they do figure out what happened. If anyone of you smart electric car people have any comforting words or other advice to help get it fixed, I could sure use some right now!! It will be ok, right? Thanks.
Wow. Really sorry to hear this. I'm confident they will be able to unbrick your car, it just might take a Field Service Engineer. I've had one of the local FSEs overseeing the work on Marlin and he's done a great job.

1623961975087.png

soundlike it will eventually be an OTA for that.But I’m mostly interested in the mobile repair technician. I is not know Ford had that option.
I like this option much better. PaaK is working for me so I see no need to have the dealer experiment.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1623961949666.png

I've allowed FordPass to drain my battery, background refresh, location services, IT engineer and the sucker still doesn't work.

Great they'll be offering alternative ways to get it updated later this year.
Those tips are a perfect example of why I'm sticking with trusty fobs.

Personally, I find it a lot less annoying to keep carrying a fob in my pocket (like I've been doing for 45 years (fob/key)) than to mess with all the little technical quirks that can go wrong with car/phone/bluetooth.

KISS.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm keeping mine away from the dealer after hearing what happened earlier in this thread.

@Ford Motor Company any possibility of allowing a 2nd FOB to be programmed for free for Mach-E owners if we provide it? No cost to you guys and will allow my family to move the car without waking me up and being slightly annoyed. PaaK doesn't work at all for me (oddly did before 2 days ago) and family is a bit upset

At the same time I don't want to brick Eleanor, so I'm in a tight spot. I have an eBay FOB on the way.

If we order a proper FOB / ford certified one from you or eBay, would Ford allow Mach-E owners a one time exemption to program a 2nd fob due to PaaK issues?

If not, all good - thank you for your reply and update!
I'd be surprised if they do that, especially since it's a dealer function. However if you earned FordPass points on the Mach-E purchase that you haven't used up yet, you should be able to apply those to the cost of fob programming at your dealer.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Darn! Just make an appointment with the tech for Saturday for this. Is there a way to get just the SSM, my PaaK is functional but I'm hoping this will fix the phone battery drain.
I hope I'm wrong but I'm almost positive it won't fix that issue. The only way it might is if the GPS location in the car is passed to the cloud and back to the app. That way the app will know you're not nearby so it will stop trying to connect as frequently, and save some battery life.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As many of you know this CSP was released recently. Here is the full info released to dealers. I started a new thread so this info wouldn’t get buried.

962D480B-19A0-4319-869B-57EA52DC6B41.jpeg

CEC4EB6B-3841-46D6-9569-BC6ED323229C.jpeg

My PAAK works 95% of the time, then the other 5% it just doesn’t work at all. I’ve made the appointment so hopefully this solves those issues.
I got the recall on FordPass app on Tuesday. My dealer, J C Lewis Ford in Savannah sent a technician to my house yesterday. He plugged in his laptop (under the dash, driver's side) and it took about 25" to upload. All done. Been fine all day to day!

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
I hope I'm wrong but I'm almost positive it won't fix that issue. The only way it might is if the GPS location in the car is passed to the cloud and back to the app. That way the app will know you're not nearby so it will stop trying to connect as frequently, and save some battery life.
Isn't the GPS location already on a server? I can see where the car is when it's miles away. Though that doesn't help for when it's in my garage connected/trying to connect to my phone over Bluetooth non stop.

Last edited:

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
I got the recall on FordPass app on Tuesday. My dealer, J C Lewis Ford in Savannah sent a technician to my house yesterday. He plugged in his laptop (under the dash, driver's side) and it took about 25" to upload. All done. Been fine all day to day!
What about the 12v battery charging part?

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Isn't the GPS location already on a server? I can see where the car is when it's miles away. Though that doesn't help for when it's in my garage connected/trying to connect to my phone over Bluetooth non stop.
True, that data is already in the app, forgot about that feature. That said, I still don't think the car's firmware update will do anything to improve the battery situation on the Fordpass app. How ever that app is performing the connection checks needs a major overhaul.

On a related note, you can use the Cancel button on the notification (on Android) to close the foreground service that is doing all the damage to the battery. When you're ready to go to the car, open the app and the service starts again. You can probably get similar results by turning off Bluetooth too, but then you can't use other Bluetooth devices. I did this today and the app only used about 8% of my battery, it would be even better had I done that earlier this morning. Significant improvement considering around the same time yesterday the app consumed 35-40% of my battery.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Awesome to hear! I got my mobile service appointment set for this Saturday!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Hi, everyone! An OTA update is in the works and will be available later this year. We wanted to provide a solution now rather than wait until the OTA is fully developed. If you'd rather not wait for the over-the-air update option, please schedule a service appointment with your local dealership to have your software updated at your earliest convenience. Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to update the Phone as a Key software free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program.
Thanks for posting, @Ford Motor Company . Great to hear from you as always.

To everyone else, I've now cancelled my appointment at the dealer... Was nervous about that anyway :)

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
True, that data is already in the app, forgot about that feature. That said, I still don't think the car's firmware update will do anything to improve the battery situation on the Fordpass app. How ever that app is performing the connection checks needs a major overhaul.

On a related note, you can use the Cancel button on the notification (on Android) to close the foreground service that is doing all the damage to the battery. When you're ready to go to the car, open the app and the service starts again. You can probably get similar results by turning off Bluetooth too, but then you can't use other Bluetooth devices. I did this today and the app only used about 8% of my battery, it would be even better had I done that earlier this morning. Significant improvement considering around the same time yesterday the app consumed 35-40% of my battery.
Nice, I saw that cancel button as well but didn't check the impact on the battery. I doubt the car update will do anything either. It might even make it worse by having the car try to stay connected to the app more consistently.

lazydot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had given my car to dealership (Fremont Ford) for this CSA today before I read this thread. Luckily, everything went smooth. I also noticed that there was a infinite blue MME as well at the dealership for the same CSA.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Why no OTA for this?
My Dealer Service Tech has a Ford field engr present as mine was the first to get the update in town.... Ford Engr said it could not OTA because some of the RFA module software has to be loaded thru OBD port, and the physical key fob is needed as they have to turn vehicle off/on several times with fob to preserve PAAK settings and BackupStartCode.

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
H
My Dealer Service Tech has a Ford field engr present as mine was the first to get the update in town.... Ford Engr said it could not OTA because some of the RFA module software has to be loaded thru OBD port, and the physical key fob is needed as they have to turn vehicle off/on several times with fob to preserve PAAK settings and BackupStartCode.
Ford just announced yesterday that there will be an OTA update for it later this year.
Sponsored