[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Biometrics would be so much better. At least I always bring my face with me and the battery for it never dies!
Beware biometrics. 6 years ago I had major eye surgery for cancer on my retina and the scanners used for Clear would not recognize me. It took an act of God to get them to allow me to create a new retina scan. It's likely something that Ford would have to wipe out everything on your car to do. Oh, that's right, it appears that they already do this!
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi there. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN? I'd like to look into this further.

so.... was there anything pushed out from Ford that could have done a 'master reset', wiping out existing PAAK activation and BackupStartCode ?

I have turned off 'auto-update' of FordPass until I hear back!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi amoo3, We are so glad to have been able to help you with this. We are hearing that this has been resolved and you should now be able to set up Phone as a Key. If you need any further assistance now or in the future please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being part of the Ford Family. ?

HOW was PAAK and BackupStartCode reset?
by whom?

I leave my Fob in drawer at home for spare, finally have PAAK working most of the time, and have my BackupStartCode for the times PAAK flakes out... I want to know exactly how the OP had a master reset that wiped out his (presumably active) PAAK, and (presumably working) BackupStartCode.

If the reset was initiated by Ford, and pushed out OTA, that is a much more serious problem than a failed activation or mistaken reset initiated by Owner frm center console in some way...

Last edited:

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have two Faraday bags for my FOB and my wife's FOB too but when the FOB is in the bag it is quite bulky and doesn't fit in my pocket very well as it's larger too. Not a completely good solution for me. It's not such an issue for her as she keeps the FOB in her purse and when I looked in her purse the FOB was there without the bag. Car works great with both the phone and FOB in the car apparently. I have to find out what she did with her bag.
Wrap the fob with aluminum foil. Radio waves don't go through metal. It's much more compact than a Faraday bag.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
Final update: fedex botched the next day delivery of the fob. Decided to chance it and drive the ~450 miles on just the backup code after a FordPass guide confirmed it can’t be reset remotely (??). Two charging stops along the way; the trip went fine and the code worked every time.

Now just waiting for the fob to arrive back at my home address. Aside from this fiasco the mach e was actually a good road trip car. Even plug and charge worked great on EA.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Final update: fedex botched the next day delivery of the fob. Decided to chance it and drive the ~450 miles on just the backup code after a FordPass guide confirmed it can’t be reset remotely (??). Two charging stops along the way; the trip went fine and the code worked every time.

Now just waiting for the fob to arrive back at my home address. Aside from this fiasco the mach e was actually a good road trip car. Even plug and charge worked great on EA.

so..... were you able to determine how the PAAK was deactivated, and your original BackupStartCode got reset?

It would help my comfort level and trust in the BackupStartCode if I could be SURE that there is no way that can be reset remotely by OTA or any FordPass update.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
so..... were you able to determine how the PAAK was deactivated, and your original BackupStartCode got reset?

It would help my comfort level and trust in the BackupStartCode if I could be SURE that there is no way that can be reset remotely by OTA or any FordPass update.
i was not. The message posted in this thread from Ford was the last comms I had from them (with the exception of my call to FordPass guide mentioned above).

it does appear that the backup code was not actually reset even though the message I got said that it was. There’s been no comms around what caused this, no technical reason given as to why my backup code continues to work despite the message etc. FordPass Guide told me that the backup code CAN NOT be remotely wiped but tbh I don’t know if the tier 1 guide has that level of knowledge around the SW architecture and features.Would be a great thing for @Ford Motor Company to confirm here.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
FordPass Guide told me that the backup code CAN NOT be remotely wiped but tbh I don’t know if the tier 1 guide has that level of knowledge around the SW architecture and features.Would be a great thing for @Ford Motor Company to confirm here.

It would go a long way toward reducing 'Fob stress' if we could be sure that the BackupStartCode cannot be wiped out remotely via OTA Sync reset or FordPass update.

I really don't want to carry the Fob in the car, wrapped in tin foil, but I guess I could.... and that way it would be handy if and when I ever 'valet park' my car or when I have it in for Service. They need the actual Fob rather than my phone!

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It would go a long way toward reducing 'Fob stress' if we could be sure that the BackupStartCode cannot be wiped out remotely via OTA Sync reset or FordPass update.

I really don't want to carry the Fob in the car, wrapped in tin foil, but I guess I could.... and that way it would be handy if and when I ever 'valet park' my car or when I have it in for Service. They need the actual Fob rather than my phone!
If you delete the PAAK from your FordPass app the backup code will also be deleted. How do I know? I set up two phones and then deleted one of them. The backup code for the two phones can not be the same. You are forced to make them different.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
If you delete the PAAK from your FordPass app the backup code will also be deleted. How do I know? I set up two phones and then deleted one of them. The backup code for the two phones can not be the same. You are forced to make them different.
This is not clear but evidently based on my experience here the answer is no. My paak was removed but the code still worked. That said, I didn’t actively delete the paak. More good questions for @Ford Motor Company :)

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
?I have a car on order. This is concerning. When Tesla sends updates, we have the option to install or not. They aren't installed automatically. But as with Tesla, there will be some initial learning as Ford moves forward with electrification and OTA updates
You're not required to install updates automatically, you can turn it off at the vehicle if you're uncomfortable with it.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You're not required to install updates automatically, you can turn it off at the vehicle if you're uncomfortable with it.
One could delay updates for a little while, but stopping them indefinitely can impact warranty coverage.

From the warranty guide, warranty coverage may be denied for damage caused by "failure to complete software updates within a reasonable amount of time, typically 30 days."

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
One could delay updates for a little while, but stopping them indefinitely can impact warranty coverage.

From the warranty guide, warranty coverage may be denied for damage caused by "failure to complete software updates within a reasonable amount of time, typically 30 days."

I think we'd all be a lot more comfortable with updates if it can be verified by Ford that there is no way a Sync or Fordpass OTA update can reset PAAK or delete BackupStartCode....

...and even MORE comfortable if the updates included more detailed 'release notes' as to exactly what is enhanced and/or fixed in the update, as well as any remaining known open issues being worked on.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hi, this is not resolved yet. The “add PaaK” option is back on my app, but it is stuck at the “trying to connect” screen and keeps hitting “connection trouble”.
I also can’t add my paak in the car because it is unclickable. I still do not have my fob.

CA96300E-8942-4D83-BD00-027A0B44B7C5.jpeg

3F83209F-FE5C-48B3-A3F1-9D390CB144AD.jpeg
I believe you need a fob in the car AND your phone to set up PAAK, I could be wrong but I recall my dealer saying that……. Glad the code worked and you are on your way…..for sanity sake, I reentered my code yesterday!