What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I use the new Alpha charger (40 amp). Rare notices about "Charger interrupted service" from FordPass, but my GTPE is always fully charged in the morning.
Sponsored

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I started using the mobile charger that came with my wife’s Audi PHEV. It seems like better quality and charges at up to 40A instead of 32, and has a button I can push to limit it to 50% power (which I like for overnight charging).

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
For that matter It's pickup coil is a option in the build too. Love my OpenEVSE. No issues and running 4.1.1.
I was running 4.1.0 so I updated tonight. Thanks! Is there a way to find out when there is a new release other than checking the repository? So far my OpenEVSE is working great.

It appears this version has a better history list.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? The ford connected charge station, juice box, or something else?
While I'm waiting for my Mach-E I did have a ChargePoint Home Flex installed this summer for my Honda Clarity PHEV. I got a $400 credit from my electric coop plus an off peak charging rate of $.07/kWh. I did a lot of research on EVSEs for more than two years before finally selecting the ChargePoint. It was a good choice for all the major reasons. My one minor annoyance is that the app doesn't readily display the % of charge, but that may also be true of other EVSEs. That would be an irrelevant annoyance with the Mach-E since the Ford app displays this status.

GadgetTech

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E Primium Shadow Black
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was running 4.1.0 so I updated tonight. Thanks! Is there a way to find out when there is a new release other than checking the repository? So far my OpenEVSE is working great.

You get even better history if you integrate it with Home Assistant. So much data.

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
428i, X1, Mach-e GTPE on order
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Chargepoint flex. My utility company gives a (much) bigger credit for WiFi enabled chargers. Had originally bought a basic Grizzl-e until I found that out, and the WiFi ones are out of stock.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag

I haven’t found A better way. Perhaps we could write a little patch to pull the github page version and generate a banner and flashing light if one is found. Then submit a pull request.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My one minor annoyance is that the app doesn't readily display the % of charge, but that may also be true of other EVSEs.
Yes, this is a limitation for all EVSEs. The protocol doesn't standardize a way for a vehicle to share that sort of information. It's communicating the amount of current offered by the EVSE to the car, and that's about it.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Chargepoint flex. My utility company gives a (much) bigger credit for WiFi enabled chargers. Had originally bought a basic Grizzl-e until I found that out, and the WiFi ones are out of stock.
I did the ChargePoint Home Flex as well and I have been happy with it. I didn't look into utility company credits so I can't speak to that, but the functionality and the app are all on point. I like being able to schedule charging and track the cost and all that.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
While I'm waiting for my Mach-E I did have a ChargePoint Home Flex installed this summer for my Honda Clarity PHEV. I got a $400 credit from my electric coop plus an off peak charging rate of $.07/kWh. I did a lot of research on EVSEs for more than two years before finally selecting the ChargePoint. It was a good choice for all the major reasons. My one minor annoyance is that the app doesn't readily display the % of charge, but that may also be true of other EVSEs. That would be an irrelevant annoyance with the Mach-E since the Ford app displays this status.
The CP app has been acting strangely lately. I have to stop and start it to get the car charging. Usually I just plug in and it works.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, this is a limitation for all EVSEs. The protocol doesn't standardize a way for a vehicle to share that sort of information. It's communicating the amount of current offered by the EVSE to the car, and that's about it.
The Basic protocol used on Level 1 and Level 2 EVSEs does not have a method of sending the SOC back to the EVSE. The High Level Communication (PLC based) used on DC Fast Chargers does provide a method. It appears the MME does support Level 2 charging using HLC, but I have not found a home EVSE that supports Level 2 HLC.

robbinbadams

First Name
Robbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'm going with the Emporia EV charger. Great price and does up to 48 Amps. Also works with their other energy monitors.
Emporia EV Charger
I installed the Emporia on a direct connected 60 amp circuit. It connected to my network without issue. Now waiting on my Mach e arrival!

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I installed the Emporia on a direct connected 60 amp circuit. It connected to my network without issue. Now waiting on my Mach e arrival!
My chargers installed well over a month. But NO CAR YET EITHER...?
Sponsored