What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use?

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I thought that too when I bought my Grizzl-e classic, but now I am rethinking that position. It would be really nice to be able to track how much current my car is actually drawing, and how much overhead there is. My Grizzl-e is set at 32A which should be 7.7 kw, but what I am seeing the car get based on charge percentage is around 6.6kw - which seems like a big overhead (15%). I am also curious to know how much the car draws while plugged in and not charging (ie conditioning and preconditioning).
I could see that as interesting data but hardly anything needed more than once or twice a year. So I think you should get the smart EVSE and figure out how much then tell everyone in the forum so I don’t have to get one ?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I could see that as interesting data but hardly anything needed more than once or twice a year. So I think you should get the smart EVSE and figure out how much then tell everyone in the forum so I don’t have to get one ?
I doubt I'm going to buy another EVSE, but it would be good information especially in light of the car wanting to be plugged in when it's really cold or really hot. I'd like to know how much extra it's drawing in that case, but it's not critical enough to warrant spending another $700 since I won't be able to do anything about it anyway.

figmentsas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Eco Vert, 2021 MachE Premium ER-AWD
Country flag
I'm using the Grizzl-e avalanche edition with premium cable, and is preset to 40amps. I let the car handle the charging schedule, and I have not had any issues with it. It is installed in my garage, though my car is primarily parked outside, so when I charge and I need to close the garage door, the premium cable is super tough and remains undamaged.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have 2 Wallbox Pulsar Pluses using Power Sharing on a 50A circuit. Have been working well since I installed in February (charging my Mach-E and i3).

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1624022606621

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm using the Grizzl-e avalanche edition with premium cable, and is preset to 40amps. I let the car handle the charging schedule, and I have not had any issues with it. It is installed in my garage, though my car is primarily parked outside, so when I charge and I need to close the garage door, the premium cable is super tough and remains undamaged.
My charger is in my crowded 1 car garage and I park outside, so I used an RV access port cover to make an access port in the wall for the j1772 and cable, and use a clippercreek holster with my Grizzl-E because it is side mounted and seems much more weatherproof:

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? PXL_20210415_183030472

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? PXL_20210415_182943739

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
Been using the provided 32A Ford charger that came with the car until my ChargePoint arrived today.

Delivery took approx 4 weeks from time of purchase from the manufacturer’s website.

I went with the NEMA 14-50 plug-in configured for 40A. I didn’t want something hard wired in case there was a need for replacement/swap in the future and didn’t see a need to charge anything faster than 40A.

If I need DCFC, for any reason, there is a brand new 150 kWH / 4 stall - EA station approx 1.5 miles away from my house.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 2B0AB92A-87DC-40D6-A1CF-54E62722BE42

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have an old Juicebox 60a EVSE. It is set to 40a and has a 25' cord. Its works well.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
5 year old AeroVironment mounted outside with JuiceNet software, heavily subsidized years ago by utility for my Ford Energi PHEV. Juicenet software automatically adjusts to TOU so only charges overnight. However, has a manual override button for daytime use, which I rarely need. Every charge session technical data is recorded into the Cloud. Phone App sends start/stop and reminder notifications to plug in before scheduled charge starts at 10 PM. Connected to my local wifi, so I can monitor/change/override remotely. 27 ft cord allows me to park my Kona and MachE side by side and charge whichever one needs it. Yes, @ChasingCoral I responded to both polls.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Just got my Ford Connected Charging station delivered, now I have a few months to figure out how to install it before my GT comes :p Trick when ordering (I think I saw this mentioned somewhere here), click around to try different dealers, even though it is being shipped, some had it marked up, but I found one that had it for $80 under msrp. With the tax credit, figured might as well stick to all Ford, then I get to keep the mobile one in the vehicle for trips. Also, $11 for a 60a non-gfci breaker vs $100 for a 50a gfci (which the mobile one would need) balanced out the overall cost + the circuit.

Return of the Mach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I also went with the Grizzl-E 40A Classic and could not be happier with it. Sprung for the longer 24ft "premium" charging cable and mounted it to a NEMA 14-50 right outside the garage.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What level 2 charger is everyone purchasing for home use? 1624561195749

P.S. Now that the cable is "trained", I swear it looks a lot neater than this ?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Is the unit that comes with the car weather resistant enough to leave outside?
I can build an enclosure for it if necessary, we don't have an enclosed garage.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Is the unit that comes with the car weather resistant enough to leave outside?
I can build an enclosure for it if necessary, we don't have an enclosed garage.
It's probably OK for occasionally getting some rain on it, but I wouldn't mount it in the elements. For an outdoor installation you should probably get a "real" EVSE designed for the elements. To save money the Grizzl-E is pretty good, or you can fork over another $200 to get a "smart" unit.

I went with the Grizzl-E, but I would like to be able to keep track of my kwh usage. I can always add a meter to my outlet, but I'm probably too lazy to do that.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
It's probably OK for occasionally getting some rain on it, but I wouldn't mount it in the elements. For an outdoor installation you should probably get a "real" EVSE designed for the elements. To save money the Grizzl-E is pretty good, or you can fork over another $200 to get a "smart" unit.

I went with the Grizzl-E, but I would like to be able to keep track of my kwh usage. I can always add a meter to my outlet, but I'm probably too lazy to do that.

Got it. Our electric company does not offer any incentives for this purchase or installation. I'll probably end up making an enclosure for this one for a bit and upgrade later.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Got it. Our electric company does not offer any incentives for this purchase or installation. I'll probably end up making an enclosure for this one for a bit and upgrade later.
FYI there is a 30% federal tax credit available through the end of the year. It makes a $400 grizzl-e under $300.
Sponsored