Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Charge time is pretty important if you’re dealing with TOU prices. I don’t have my MME yet but I’ll have about a 4 HR window to replenish my commute miles so the extra speed of a 40A charger will be beneficial. Plus after rebates it’s only like 150 so no big deal.

Also, these things break sometimes so keeping the mobile charger as backup is nice. I’d waste more $$ commuting with my other car for one-two weeks while you get a replacement sent.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Charge time is pretty important if you’re dealing with TOU prices. I don’t have my MME yet but I’ll have about a 4 HR window to replenish my commute miles so the extra speed of a 40A charger will be beneficial. Plus after rebates it’s only like 150 so no big deal.

Also, these things break sometimes so keeping the mobile charger as backup is nice. I’d waste more $$ commuting with my other car for one-two weeks while you get a replacement sent.
Wow, that window is awful!

My TOU window is 7PM - 11AM, i.e. 16 hours, plus all day on weekends. And that's for my whole house, not just the EV.

I'd save a penny per kWh, and give up 6 hours a day, if I went with a separate meter (plus the cost to get it installed, plus during peak time I'd pay 1 to 4 cents more. And I'd lose the lower rate window for the rest of my house.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For me it was because I wanted a hard wired charger outside. The garage is full of toys, so I didn’t want to plug and unplug a mobile charger everyday in rain or snow. Instead I bought a 4x4 metal mailbox post from Lowe’s for $75, ran 3/4 sealtite inside and ended up with something the wife doesn’t hate.

E2B24A2A-F255-4A89-AA51-A1C86937B352.jpeg
Nice. That's one of the best looking outdoor setups I've seen.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Wow, that window is awful!

My TOU window is 7PM - 11AM, i.e. 16 hours, plus all day on weekends. And that's for my whole house, not just the EV.

I'd save a penny per kWh, and give up 6 hours a day, if I went with a separate meter (plus the cost to get it installed, plus during peak time I'd pay 1 to 4 cents more. And I'd lose the lower rate window for the rest of my house.
Yeah PGE rates are ridiculous. Their EV plan is $0.19 off peak then up to $0.50 for full peak. My work schedule give me very limited off peak hours.

I’m going to use my tax credits to get solar next year with a battery so I can tell them and their TOU (even for solar) to f-off haha.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Intermountain Flash & Flicker is implementing this scheme, but between 4:00 and 8:00 PM as a surcharge. So, come 8:05 PM I will charge and avoid their stupidity. Looking hard at solar and battery to minimize my exposure to these clowns. Finding that the solar business is as unethical as some of these high ADM dealers.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Nice. That's one of the best looking outdoor setups I've seen.
Thanks. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I used one of those 36” mailbox mounting spikes too so if I ever want to remove it I can. The whole thing is very solid. If you’ve looked at the price of actual EVSE mounting posts or bollards, they are ridiculous!! Some sort of auto cord retractor would be nice, but I’m sure I can coil up my cord 2-3 times a week.

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
One bit of advice if you're running a new 14-50 plug: Have the electrician use the heavier wiring needed for 60A service. I bought a Grizzl-e charger for use now, but if I decide to hard wire a charger in the future I just need to swap the 50A breaker for a 60A to get full 48A charging. Did not add much to the cost at all.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
One bit of advice if you're running a new 14-50 plug: Have the electrician use the heavier wiring needed for 60A service. I bought a Grizzl-e charger for use now, but if I decide to hard wire a charger in the future I just need to swap the 50A breaker for a 60A to get full 48A charging. Did not add much to the cost at all.
Good advice!
I had an electrician for an estimate recently and he is going to use aluminum wires. Is it OK?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Also every time you plug and unplug at 14-50 plug you degrade the connection. I like leaving the charger in the car all the time for emergencies and love the 50A charging my always ready Chargepoint provides!

jaycake

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6 Carbon Mach-E Star White AWD Ext. range
Country flag
Good advice!
I had an electrician for an estimate recently and he is going to use aluminum wires. Is it OK?
I live in Mass so you prices may vary, but 25 feet of 6/3 Romex (copper) was 109.19. That is enough with a few feet to spare to hard wire my charger. Personally I would feel more comfortable with Copper as it is more thermally stable..it may not be an issue. ask for 2 prices 1 with copper and 1 with aluminum wire. if your ok with the differential go with copper.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Got a quote from the electrician
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why would you by a charger? 1628282943202

I'll ask about upgrade the wire that can support 60 amps, but is there something else that I need to clarify?

Last edited: