TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, there could be real reasons. But this statement leads me to believe that there weren't in this particular case:

Recommended by Ford and my electrician told me it won’t suck your bill like a 220. Like the one Ford gives you. It also charges your car in the same amount of time.
Yeah, the "same amount of time" is clearly wrong. The "suck your bill" may or may not be true (depending on whether they have a demand charge, TOU billing, etc).
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Man this thread. Turns out people love justifying why they bought a wall charger almost as much as they love talking about why they bought an EV. We’re not Vegan-level, but it’s close.

Srsly tho, if my state or utility was giving me a fat incentive to get a wall charger, I probably would have sprung for the extra toy. But they don’t, so the supplied mobile charger is working perfectly as my wall charger, and it will for you, too. You don’t need a fancy charger for charge scheduling - you can set/modify your charging schedule through FordPass or the car itself.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
While all tax breaks/credits are subject to interpretation if ever audited, pretty sure a 240V circuit being installed explicitly for EV charging use would still count for the federal tax credit, even if using the included Ford Mobile Charger.

Probably couldn't get away with trying to apply the credit to the included charger itself (since it's imbedded in the price of the car and can't be readily separated), but the circuit should be acceptable. It meets the intent of the credit, since you really are buying a charger and installing the circuit for it. At least that's how I interpret it. I'd certainly claim the credit in that situation (for the electrical work).
The U.S. federal tax credit gives individuals 30% off a ChargePoint Home EV charging station plus installation costs (up to $1,000). Buy and install by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The U.S. federal tax credit gives individuals 30% off a ChargePoint Home EV charging station plus installation costs (up to $1,000). Buy and install by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.
It's not just ChargePoints, it's any EVSEs. And it's the electrical work to provide power for any home EVSE. Personally I went with the more affordable Grizzl-E and a 14-50 outlet.

Although the point was that even the included Ford Mobile Charger should qualify the electrical work for the 30% federal tax credit. As long as the outlet is intended to be used for EV charging.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
It's not just ChargePoints, it's any EVSEs. And it's the electrical work to provide power for any home EVSE. Personally I went with the more affordable Grizzl-E and a 14-50 outlet.

Although the point was that even the included Ford Mobile Charger should qualify the electrical work for the 30% federal tax credit. As long as the outlet is intended to be used for EV charging.
Yup. I get free charge point from my utility provider.

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
Minor caveat: some utilities also charge a demand charge, which IS based on how much current your house pulls at its peak. So, in that case, you're paying by the kW, not the kWh. a lower amperage at the same voltage will result in a lower kW demand charge. SuzzyQ should investigate whether that applies in her area.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Right.

$500 rebate if I bought a ChargePoint Flex or JuiceBox. That brings the JB48 cost down to $158.17. 30% tax credit on both wiring and charger, charger portion brings cost down another $197.41, in other words I made a $39.28 profit and I can charge as high as 48 amps instead of 32.

Last edited:

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
I bought a Charge point Flex for control. I can see what the draw is over wi fi and it keeps a history of my usage so I can see my cost.

Mach E JT

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, Acura RDX, Corvette C8
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I ordered a chargepoint flex and I am going to have it hardwired.

I work at an industrial facility and spoke to the I/E manager here. He recommended hard wire over plug because those plug outlets do not hold up well over repeated use (plug/unplug cycles) compared to regular 120v outlets we commonly use.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I ordered a chargepoint flex and I am going to have it hardwired.

I work at an industrial facility and spoke to the I/E manager here. He recommended hard wire over plug because those plug outlets do not hold up well over repeated use (plug/unplug cycles) compared to regular 120v outlets we commonly use.
They do if you get the right one. You need an industrial quality like a cooper or hubbell. These are the types of connectors used in hospitals where we are plugging and unplugging equipment all the time. It also handles continued high current for much longer than commercial grade home Depot crap. It's not that much more either. I bought a cooper (Eaton) 5745N. It's beefy. You need a different face plate for it too as it's larger.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why would you by a charger? E6S6ac8

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why would you by a charger? qy1C6wQ

The Tesla guys learned the hard way why Tesla specifically recommended an Industrial grade 14-50 over the commercial stuff when their home depot/lowes connectors were melting and catching fire.

Last edited:

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
For me it was because I wanted a hard wired charger outside. The garage is full of toys, so I didn’t want to plug and unplug a mobile charger everyday in rain or snow. Instead I bought a 4x4 metal mailbox post from Lowe’s for $75, ran 3/4 sealtite inside and ended up with something the wife doesn’t hate.

E2B24A2A-F255-4A89-AA51-A1C86937B352.jpeg

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Since this has been resurrected I'll just say the only reasons I'm looking at a wallbox is because I have to park outside in the driveway. So 1) water proof charger, 2) tax incentives, 3) and most importantly since it'll be outside the window where my wife's bedroom is, I can adjust the charge current so it doesn't blow her up with full battery cooling while she's sleeping. Primarily, I don't want to get punched in the middle of the night because I got a pretty new car.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Indeed, why does anyone need any sort of charger in their homes? Just use public charging stations just like an ICE vehicle uses public gasoline stations, right?

In my case it's not because I need the quicker charging time over what's provided by the portable charger, it's because I want them. Plus I like the feel-good knowledge that I am charging my car using electricity I generated with the 14.5Kw solar array on my roof. But as in all things, do whatever works for you!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why would you by a charger? FullSizeRender(2)

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
I have a Pulsar Plus charger. Two reasons I bought another charger: 1. I wanted a smart charger where I can adjust the amps as well as keeping track of energy usage. 2. Rebates. After state/local/federal incentives the price of the charger was extremely affordable.

Also, as another poster just mentioned, 14-50 outlets aren't meant to be plug/unplugged continuously like a 120v outlet.
Sponsored