Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is there any way of telling if the 21B02 software update has been done when I pick up my car or for those who have their cars already that want to check to see if it's done?

Is there any way of checking to see if the 21B02 software update has been done?
Your dealer will know because it will shop up in OASIS. If we knew the full set of software updated and the version used we might be able to check ourselves. I haven't seen that list.
Sponsored

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Just got it back from the dealer. Some software updates were performed. We'll see if they fix it. Posting the notes in case it helps anyone.

Since we got it back the connectivity services aren't working though. One step forward, one step back.

PXL_20210319_194818881.jpg

Wardmoranfamily

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Administration
Country flag
Welcome to the club. Scroll up a few pages -- had this same issue. The problem is that when the car is plugged in it doesn't kick in the mechanism that keeps the LVB charged from the HVB. It's a software bug. Don't keep it plugged in when it's not being actively charged as a workaround.

The larger issue is that there seem to be a number of VINs -- including mine and, likely, yours -- that are not covered by the technical service bulletin for this issue. So they're going out to customers without the software update. And then when you take it to a dealer they don't know how to deal with this issue because it doesn't show up as connected to your VIN -- so not only do they not know what the problem is, they also don't know how to code it so that Ford actually reimburses them.

If anyone on the forum has a Ford contact that can get involved that would be great. Clearly a larger number of VINs than they thought need these updates and the dealers are just clueless about what's going on. (All four around me are just like "we don't know how to work on that car" and since the TSB isn't showing up they don't have an obvious guide to follow. I've had mine in for two days now to get this software updated and they haven't even bothered to look at it yet.)
I got my car back, put 100kms on it and the instrument panel screen is completely back and no one can figure out why it isn’t working now lol

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag

Wardmoranfamily

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Administration
Country flag
Thanks, not the climate control screen, the screen that displays speed, battery life etc....the large one works!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So those of you had issues resolved what do you recommend to those of us that didnt get the car yet? Should we ask that all updates be performed before we take possesion? Or take possesion and wait and see?

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
So those of you had issues resolved what do you recommend to those of us that didnt get the car yet? Should we ask that all updates be performed before we take possesion? Or take possesion and wait and see?
Hard to say as a lot of things aren't public (software versions for instance). My advice though would be that before you take delivery you insist they update all software. Not just check OASIS/FSA with the VIN but actually plug the damn thing in and run a check for updated software.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hard to say as a lot of things aren't public (software versions for instance). My advice though would be that before you take delivery you insist they update all software. Not just check OASIS/FSA with the VIN but actually plug the damn thing in and run a check for updated software.
The one thing that i dont want to do is make things worse by having them update everything

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
You’re going to have to “wait and see.”
I told my dealer that I believed I was likely to have an issue based on my build date (Mid-November) and ship date (mid-January). Their response was, “there’s nothing in the system, you’re fine.”
When I had the problem they were super responsive, but they can only go with the exact date/VIN notices Ford gives them.

That said, mine was built early and just sat in Mexico for months. I feel like it missed out on “updates“ in the 2 months between build and ship. This scenario seems less likely with the passage of time.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re going to have to “wait and see.”
I told my dealer that I believed I was likely to have an issue based on my build date (Mid-November) and ship date (mid-January). Their response was, “there’s nothing in the system, you’re fine.”
When I had the problem they were super responsive, but they can only go with the exact date/VIN notices Ford gives them.

That said, mine was built early and just sat in Mexico for months. I feel like it missed out on “updates“ in the 2 months between build and ship. This scenario seems less likely with the passage of time.
Im optimistic that the cars built in the past month received the latest software updates but I guess it depends on what is the directive from HO. It really sucks that we cant compare module software versions but I guess ill wait and see. Id really like to avoid the major issues, but like any car you dont necessarily know what you are getting.

I know that procedures have been written on the forum but I think it would be a good idea for a setup order to be established for example:
*Do not pair phone with car*
Step 1: Setup Fordpass
Step 2: Setup PAAK
Step 3: Wait until you get home plug in car, setup schedule.
And so on...

To prevent any app issues

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
I wonder if an OBDII adapter like this could be used to charge the LVB without having to remove the panels in the frunk.

Amazon.com: NOCO GC012 X-Connect OBD-II Adapter Accessory For NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers: Automotive
That would be convenient if you can get the doors to open so you can access the OBD port, but generally the doors won't open if the LVB is low enough to need your intervention.
Also, did you see the caution?

CAUTION: This product is fused at 10-amps. Verify the maximum current supported through the OBD-II port prior to use. Do not use if the vehicle’s OBD-II fuse is below 10-amps or shares a fuse with the vehicles ECU.
When our LVB was dead a 4A trickle charge was not enough because there is no limiting circuit to keep the electronics from trying to operate, so the voltage was draining faster than the battery could be charged at that rate. We needed to increase to 10 amps. I do not know if the OBD-II port and fuse are rated for 10A.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Also, did you see the caution?

Code:
CAUTION: This product is fused at 10-amps. Verify the maximum current supported through the OBD-II port prior to use. Do not use if the vehicle’s OBD-II fuse is below 10-amps or shares a fuse with the vehicles ECU.
Yeah, there‘s also another caution saying not to use it if the OBD port share a fuse with the ECU. Methinks it’s not worth the risk anyway.

Wardmoranfamily

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Administration
Country flag
Update 5: Ford sent an engineer to my dealership and they updated the following:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Deep Sleep Mode - 12v battery drained dead [update: Mach-E jump started] PXL_20210319_194818881

UPDATE 4

I turned the car on this morning and the Power train fault disappeared from the dashboard and no longer appears in the Ford Pass App. I am going to keep an eye on it today. The temperature now is -18 outside, so it will be interesting to see what happens while I'm here at work. Praying it starts or Ford Roadside will be getting a call and straight to the dealer.

UPDATE 3

The powertrain light that popped when looking in the manual on page 150 is under the the "high voltage battery" header. Wonder if it wasn't charging the 12v enough. My vehicle was built Jan 9. Did not go to speedway. It had religiously been on the charger every night since I got it Wednesday due to the extreme cold Temps. Outside it has been lows of -22 with a high of 0 for Saturday into Sunday and now Monday. I also had it precondition before I'd go anywhere while still plugged in. It's 22 above in my garage.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Deep Sleep Mode - 12v battery drained dead [update: Mach-E jump started] PXL_20210319_194818881

UPDATE 2

Thank you everyone for the responses and help. I've had this portable jump starter for two years and never used it for my ICE cars. Just had it and charged ready to go. I opened the front bumper panel, connected the reds and blacks, frunk opened. Then the fun part began. Taking off the back panel then windshield washer side panel. What a pain in the ass. Two of the clips are now somewhere under the hood for the back panel.

Jump started a car, my very first time, and she came back to life. HOWEVER, now I have the same powertrain issue Savage has. Made appointment with dealer already online. Thank you again everyone!! Will update when my dealer figures it out.

UPDATE 1

Added info on unlocking vehicle if 12v battery dies - posted by @ay221

How to unlock my vehicle if the 12 volt battery is dead?You must apply 12 volt power to the 12 volt system -- directions:
Jump Starting the Vehicle

ORIGINAL POST

Temps in MM have gone down to -22 degrees. I left the MME plugged in all night to charge and went to leave just now and it's a brick. Can't get in, can't do anything. Ford App says deep sleep in effect. How do I wake it?!
What is the build date on yours? I am in British Columbia Canada, and it got down to just below freezing here, and my car did the same thing. The ford engineer originally stated it was because I left my key in the car it drained the battery, but the 12V was at 100 percent when they broke into the car with the jumper cable system. It is an early build date, and has now had 1 update and got notice of a second for anything that was built before Feb 13 2021. Mine is currently at Ford and has been for a week and the figure the Body Control Module has died in it, the instrument cluster is black and they can not figure out why! After a week of trouble shooting this is what they came to today, now to try and get the part into Canada and re program the car......I bought it on March 6th and Ive driven it for 8 days and the rest of the time its been at Ford. Sad!!!!

OP
OP
tomterky

tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
What is the build date on yours? I am in British Columbia Canada, and it got down to just below freezing here, and my car did the same thing. The ford engineer originally stated it was because I left my key in the car it drained the battery, but the 12V was at 100 percent when they broke into the car with the jumper cable system. It is an early build date, and has now had 1 update and got notice of a second for anything that was built before Feb 13 2021. Mine is currently at Ford and has been for a week and the figure the Body Control Module has died in it, the instrument cluster is black and they can not figure out why! After a week of trouble shooting this is what they came to today, now to try and get the part into Canada and re program the car......I bought it on March 6th and Ive driven it for 8 days and the rest of the time its been at Ford. Sad!!!!
Jan 9 born on date. Good luck!!

SOLIDAge

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Premium
Country flag
So that power train error message in the ford pass I have seen once before when charging at an Electrify America station. It occurred after i got the "charge station failure" error that happens from time to time, but have thought nothing of it. Should I bring my vehicle to the dealership?
Sponsored