Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don’t see how the first point make a difference. Spacing of the construction is the only issue.
Ever been to a Costco gas station? Lines around the corner? They work because of churn. You can’t always get in and out easily and the throughput is dependent on the vehicle dwell time. Can you imagine the lines of each car was there 30 minutes?

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Location and space availability. It takes much longer to charge than to fill up, hence we need more "stalls." For every pull through lane, you can have the equivalent of 3 charging spot.
[/QUOTE
Ever been to a Costco gas station? Lines around the corner? They work because of churn. You can’t always get in and out easily and the throughput is dependent on the vehicle dwell time. Can you imagine the lines of each car was there 30 minutes?
Maybe we have two different visions of drive through stations. I guess you’re thinking of each lane as a no-pass lane. I’m thinking more like a WaWa or a Jersey turnpike station with several pumps on the left and right with a pull-out lane between. Each car could charge and leave and nobody blocks anybody. And no, I have never gotten gas at a Costco. It sounds like another reason why I should avoid Costco.

FarSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type '70 Vet, Outback Onyx, '04 Wrangler
Country flag
Ford stock too (both up about 7% today). It's true that the short cables will continue to present a challenge for MMEs and Lightnings, but unless a station is full or near full (typically they're not outside peak times), it's usually workable. There's often a charger on the end of the line that can be parked at without blocking another, or a solo charger on the side. And if not that, parking diagonally across 2 spots works to get close enough. I wouldn't do that at a near-full station but they're usually no more than half full, if that.

It's unclear whether the adapter will be free to existing owners or not. Depends on how you interpret the word "provide". At one point in the chat Elon said "a few hundred bucks" (referring to adapters in general) but he could just be referring to the cost to make them. Or what they'll charge Ford if Ford buys them. I'd be surprised if it's outside the norm for a DCFC adapter though (typically around the $200-$250 area).
I think the adapter will need to provide some number of feet of cable extension to deal with the proximity problem. I have not measured it but it feels like 3 feet of cable with the adapter might fix the problem; they have to be thinking about this.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
With the MME DC charge rates a fair amount slower than Teslas, I wonder if there will be any animosity from Tesla owners towards MME owners when they roll up and have to wait for a slot to start charging due to so many MMEs.

Perhaps my concerns are overrated. It's not like a majority of EV owners know the 10%-80% charge times of vehicles that are not their own.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With the MME DC charge rates a fair amount slower than Teslas, I wonder if there will be any animosity from Tesla owners towards MME owners when they roll up and have to wait for a slot to start charging due to so many MMEs.

Perhaps my concerns are overrated. It's not like a majority of EV owners know the 10%-80% charge times of vehicles that are not their own.
If you use a Tesla Supercharger, and they give you crap, I suggest this response:

[sarcasm font]

1) Loosen belt buckle.
2) Pull pants down 1 foot.
3) Bend over and say "Kiss My Butt Your Teslarti! Elon invited me!"

[/sarcasm font]

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Don’t see how the first point make a difference. Spacing of the construction is the only issue.

NOW, most charging stations are in parking lots. If this thing goes, then don’t you see charging stations that look just like gs stations sometime in the near future? I mean, that’s kind of what we all seem to want instead of the back-of-the-WalMart lot experience, right?
I don't see that changing. What might change is rather than being on the edge of the lot, they'll be more in the middle so that pull through is possible. You can't do the gas station model due to charge time and vehicle throughput (the same reason why gas stations can work on a small margin versus needing a high margin on EV charging electric rates). EV charging with current (and near future technology) requires long rows of chargers rather than a few columns.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the adapter will need to provide some number of feet of cable extension to deal with the proximity problem. I have not measured it but it feels like 3 feet of cable with the adapter might fix the problem; they have to be thinking about this.
But again, I don't think you can do a DCFC cable without liquid cooling.

FarSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F-Type '70 Vet, Outback Onyx, '04 Wrangler
Country flag
and why do we need to wait until next spring to start using the Tesla network; seems like a long time?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't see that changing. What might change is rather than being on the edge of the lot, they'll be more in the middle so that pull through is possible. You can't do the gas station model due to charge time and vehicle throughput (the same reason why gas stations can work on a small margin versus needing a high margin on EV charging electric rates). EV charging with current (and near future technology) requires long rows of chargers rather than a few columns.
Yep. Basically, gas refueling is a "stopping" function (3 minutes), while DCFC charging is a "parking" function (20-40 minutes). Usually parking and leaving the car while going to eat, shop, bathroom, etc.

I too wish they would pick the far end of a parking lot and do a 2-deep pull-thu configuration more often. But move the stupid sign in between that's blocking the pull-thru! Pull-thru is important for the most flexibility reaching any charge point location.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Farley said on MSNBC today:

"We're going to ship an adapter to everyone who has bought a Ford Ev".

Couldn't be more clear. 'Everyone' implies FREE.

It is also clear that the 2025 next generation vehicles will no longer have CCS, but will have an adapter.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
and why do we need to wait until next spring to start using the Tesla network; seems like a long time?
They have to design and build the adapters, and both Ford and Tesla have software development and testing to do to integrate FordPass with the Tesla network.

Tesla could probably perfect the software in 2 months. Ford, well.......

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To those complaining about the length of the Tesla charging cables:

- Remember size doesn't matter
- Try talking nice to the charger, this may lengthen the cable. Some have reported good results with this approach, right @mkhuffman?

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Maybe we have two different visions of drive through stations. I guess you’re thinking of each lane as a no-pass lane. I’m thinking more like a WaWa or a Jersey turnpike station with several pumps on the left and right with a pull-out lane between. Each car could charge and leave and nobody blocks anybody. And no, I have never gotten gas at a Costco. It sounds like another reason why I should avoid Costco.
I used to go to the Sam's Club gas station here in Riverview and Chasing Coral's point about queuing at Costco is the same for Sam's. The design of the DCFC stations should factor in some sort of queuing ratio, but we know that they don't. And that's the problem with the Sam's Club and Costco gas stations. You end up sitting in these somewhat long queuing lanes for maybe 10 to 15 mins waiting for your turn at the pump.
Sponsored