Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<edit> I asked my questions below before reading the entire thread...

I saw this as well. Were Mach-E's actually being produced in February 2020??? I thought the production didn't start until late 2020. Other articles have it as February 2021 though so.

If that is the true case then our Mach-E should be OK. I believe ours was built in November 2020 and we picked it up at the dealer 12 days before the recall date starts...
Preproduction runs were in process in February of 2020.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I saw this posted in the comments to one of the recall news articles on another site. Sounds reasonable. Anyone can confirm?

This safety compliance recall was not an installation issue. A non-conforming batch of the paint supplier's flow additive within the clearcoat, and one specific primer, resulted in reduced bonding performance to the urethane adhesive used to attach the windshield to the vehicle body structure."

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
I saw this posted in the comments to one of the recall news articles on another site. Sounds reasonable. Anyone can confirm?

This safety compliance recall was not an installation issue. A non-conforming batch of the paint supplier's flow additive within the clearcoat, and one specific primer, resulted in reduced bonding performance to the urethane adhesive used to attach the windshield to the vehicle body structure."
I haven't seen that but that is a really interesting update which points to a supplier issue and not a design issue. At the very least I guess we'll be able to confirm this when the official recall comes out.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'm not troubled by the windshield being removed as surely they'll have someone like safelite do the work.
This recall has the potential to be a logistics nightmare. Dealers typically do the recall work, yet how many dealers have glass shops? That mean finding glass shops, probably off site, that can handle the work for the dealers and yet still adhere to Ford’s guidelines.

Certainly not insurmountable, but still a logistics hassle.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This recall has the potential to be a logistics nightmare. Dealers typically do the recall work, yet how many dealers have glass shops? That mean finding glass shops, probably off site, that can handle the work for the dealers and yet still adhere to Ford’s guidelines.

Certainly not insurmountable, but still a logistics hassle.
I had to have the windshield replaced a few years back on my fiat. The dealer had a safelite or triumph auto glass guy do the work.

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Preproduction runs were in process in February of 2020.
There were very, very few pre-production cars in the wild. If you were following every story from the press, you would see the same ones repeatedly. Those cars then went on a dealer tour.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There were very, very few pre-production cars in the wild. If you were following every story from the press, you would see the same ones repeatedly. Those cars then went on a dealer tour.
True.

The recall is inclusive from what I understand. Someone with more direct knowledge please correct me on that.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I probably won't do this recall. The NNT seems to be well under 10,000. Zero incidents from what I can see.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I probably won't do this recall. The NNT seems to be well under 10,000. Zero incidents from what I can see.
Wouldn't water intrusion be a first indicator of a potential problem?

A poor seal should allow water in, should it not?

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Hey...maybe this will finally resolve the "wind" noise
I hope so. That is one of my biggest beefs. It makes a lot of rachet on the highway and counter intuitively, is my noisiest Ford, compared to Edge, Flex & Escape. It really has to be fixed somehow.

Rolling ions

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Rwd, Tacoma
Country flag
I’d rather see them admit the glass is weak and cracks easily. But maybe that one will come on time.
I will second that comment. Windshield stress cracked on hot, 102 degree day. Waiting to see how ford handles it, I am sure they will say impact crack but a pen test proves otherwise so we will see if they stand behind their product. Otherwise love the car and recommend to everyone.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

If this is true, I hope that doesn't mean the paint or clear coat will start peeling off on the rest of the car in a year or two. ?

peeling-cc.jpg

Note: Stock image

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
This may have been mentioned here but while we think Safelite will do the windshields for us, do we think they also do the roofs? Or will that (unfortunately) have to be done by a Ford service center?