Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The issue is a software bug. There is an update that fixes this. I think you'll need to see your dealer to get this installed

so.... how can we check if update is needed, and/or has been done?
Sponsored

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How can we tell if the update has already been done prior to delivery??

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The issue is a software bug. There is an update that fixes this. I think you'll need to see your dealer to get this installed (It's not an OTA update ... as the system that applies the OTA updates runs on that 12v battery. If that battery is low it may not be safe to try the update.). The dealer will charge the 12v and then install the update.

For cars impacted by this issue, the 12v battery can get low EVEN THOUGH the car is plugged in.

Once my car was updated I never had the issue again. The car has been great!
FWIW, my 12v died more than once. Every time it was connected to the charging station, usually for days without being driven.

Once, immediately after I received a “charge fault error” (which I learned could also apply to the LVB not just the HVB) I ran out to my garage. Tried to start the MMe, and sure enough, it wouldn’t start and was acting crazy with error codes (the same way it did every time the 12v was drained). So I disconnected it from the charging station and began to disassemble the frunk. In the middle of the disassembly process, I heard something that sounded like charging activity. I waited a few minutes, and then tried to start the car - and it started. The 12v battery was super weak though, and took 10 hours on the trickle charger.

To this day, I’m convinced (with only anecdotal evidence) that my personal issue was that my MMe would not charge the 12v battery when connected to a charging station (but would charge it while driving and while sitting disconnected).

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I am not aware of a way to check this directly. The info you get on the center monitor in the car is the Sync 4 software version. There are loads of modules in the car that have software and I don't know how to check those.

There are 12v "cigarette" lighter adapters that have a volt-meter in them. When the car is "on" the big battery is supplying power and those will probably read a value close to 15v. But when the car is in accessory mode (big battery not connected) then it should read the value of the 12v battery and that should be a number probably close to 13v. If it drops below 12v (e.g. 11, 10, etc.) then you probably need the software update. (Do a web search for "12v outlet voltmeter". I picked up one on Amazon.)

The issue of the 12v (low-voltage battery) drain only happens when the car has been plugged into the wall-charger for several days (continuously). If the car is unplugged then it will re-charge the low-voltage battery with the high-voltage battery (and this means it would mask the issue ... people who use their cars daily are unlikely to even know this is happening.)

As for OTA updates ... it's my understanding that no OTA updates have been pushed out broadly yet. There are some people in a beta ... but that's small scale and you would know if you were in that beta. Ford pushes the OTA updates to their own cars (about 700 company owned cars driven by employees) for testing prior to updating consumer-owned cars.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
There doesn't appear to be a consumer accessible version / update history.
I know our MME has been updated and the only version information I can see is, the following:

SYNC4 Software Version: 20312_PRODUCT Revision: 243.

Via API, I can also see:

POST https://api.mps.ford.com/api/appcatalog/v1/vehicle/syncinfo
BODY:
{
"vins" : [
"__your_vin_here__"
]
}

Response (abbreviated):
"syncVersion": "SYNC4 v4.0.20301"

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
My Dealer pretty much sucks, so will the updates come automatically when my MME has access to internet?
You can go to ANY dealer that sells them to get it serviced. There's no rule that you can only get your car serviced at the dealer where you bought it. Just find a dealer with a good reputation.

I have had my share of bad dealers that I wouldn't recommend ... but I've also had good dealers that I would recommend.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You can go to ANY dealer that sells them to get it serviced. There's no rule that you can only get your car serviced at the dealer where you bought it. Just find a dealer with a good reputation.
that IS the challenge....

and a big PIA if I can't trust the Dealership in my town to let me know about Updates. The next nearest dealer is 50+ miles away if it's something that needs physical Service. That's a long way to go for Service. I'd rather hope that the new Ford Culture will trickle down to Dealerships from guys like Micheal Levine at Corporate as they get better with communication and updates direct to Owners.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are 12v "cigarette" lighter adapters that have a volt-meter in them. When the car is "on" the big battery is supplying power and those will probably read a value close to 15v. But when the car is in accessory mode (big battery not connected) then it should read the value of the 12v battery and that should be a number probably close to 13v. If it drops below 12v (e.g. 11, 10, etc.) then you probably need the software update. (Do a web search for "12v outlet voltmeter". I picked up one on Amazon.)
Just to expand on that a bit, I've been finding 3 apparent levels:
  • ~15v when the LVB appears to be getting a full charge (often when first turning the car on)
  • ~13.5v when the car has been is on (or in accessory) for a while and appears to get getting a lower "maintaining" charge
  • ~12.3v after the car is turned off (no start or accessory mode), where it appears to be the pure battery-only reading

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Happy(?) owner of a bricked, four day old MME due to this bug.

Does anyone know how to get the frunk open to actually connect a jump starter, when the battery is dead? Ford Roadside assistance is fairly useless -- they said to use our key to get in.

Also, it was mentioned in this thread that not all dealers have access to the updated software. The dealer we bought from claimed that all updates had been applied, according to the VIN. Clearly more updates were available. How/what do I do to ensure the dealers are able to access and apply the needed updates?

• Wow
Reactions: JSW

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just to expand on that a bit, I've been finding 3 apparent levels:
  • ~15v when the LVB appears to be getting a full charge (often when first turning the car on)
  • ~13.5v when the car has been is on (or in accessory) for a while and appears to get getting a lower "maintaining" charge
  • ~12.3v after the car is turned off (no start or accessory mode), where it appears to be the pure battery-only reading
Do we know if we can charge the MME from the lighter outlet in the car or trunk?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Does anyone know how to get the frunk open to actually connect a jump starter, when the battery is dead? Ford Roadside assistance is fairly useless -- they said to use our key to get in.
If you can't get into the car, you'll have to connect a 12v power source to the leads in the little compartment in the front bumper. That will open the frunk, and from there you'll have to remove the rear and driver's side plastic panels to gain access to the 12v battery to jump start it.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
If you can't get into the car, you'll have to connect a 12v power source to the leads in the little compartment in the front bumper. That will open the frunk, and from there you'll have to remove the rear and driver's side plastic panels to gain access to the 12v battery to jump start it.
My guess is that a suitable power source would be another car battery or a portable jump starter?