Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This has already been discussed on this forum many times over the past few months. The answer is that, no, it won't work, unless your 12V battery is already dead. And you wont' be able to get into the car itself without the Fob.
I know it's been discussed a lot, but I wasn't sure if it was ever verified.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I know it's been discussed a lot, but I wasn't sure if it was ever verified.
Stated by Ford: yes
Appears that way in the wiring diagrams: yes
Tested by one of us: not that I know of.

I know I could have tested this when I had my issues this weekend. I considered it but was short on time.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

I know I could have tested this when I had my issues this weekend. I considered it but was short on time.
Don't forget to test if a 9V battery works to pop it :p

MarknKC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This is unacceptable. My 2012 Ford Focus Electric was designed better. If it's plugged in, the 12V gets a trickle charge. I know this because I occasionally have to hard reset the car by disconnecting and re-connecting the 12 battery. The other day I did this while forgetting to remove the J1772. I was surprised the car stayed alive while I held the 12V battery cable in my hand, detached from the battery. I would hope Ford could do an OTA update that can siphon a few mA off the HV pack to keep the 12V alive. The logic would be super simple to program.

I don't mind the quirks with my FFE because it's a compliance car that I was never supposed to have here in Missouri. I expected weird things and lived with them. I have much higher expectations for a $50K vehicle that's being sold nationwide. Hard to believe Ford didn't encounter this during cold temperature testing.

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag

The poster of the following video replied in the comment section that it only works when the LVB is dead:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
This is unacceptable. My 2012 Ford Focus Electric was designed better. If it's plugged in, the 12V gets a trickle charge. I know this because I occasionally have to hard reset the car by disconnecting and re-connecting the 12 battery. The other day I did this while forgetting to remove the J1772. I was surprised the car stayed alive while I held the 12V battery cable in my hand, detached from the battery. I would hope Ford could do an OTA update that can siphon a few mA off the HV pack to keep the 12V alive. The logic would be super simple to program.

I don't mind the quirks with my FFE because it's a compliance car that I was never supposed to have here in Missouri. I expected weird things and lived with them. I have much higher expectations for a $50K vehicle that's being sold nationwide. Hard to believe Ford didn't encounter this during cold temperature testing.
Was it? Have you had your 2012 Focus from 2012? If you have you're forgetting a lot!

"Stop Safely Now" ring a bell? (The SSN thread on the Focus Electric forums was the longest thread; easily the most posted to thread on the site)

The 2012 Focus was notorious for killing 12V batteries; it wasn't until around 2014 when Ford fixed that with a software update.

My 2013 FFE Killed its 12V battery a couple of times.

MarknKC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Was it? Have you had your 2012 Focus from 2012? If you have you're forgetting a lot!

"Stop Safely Now" ring a bell? (The SSN thread on the Focus Electric forums was the longest thread; easily the most posted to thread on the site)

The 2012 Focus was notorious for killing 12V batteries; it wasn't until around 2014 when Ford fixed that with a software update.

My 2013 FFE Killed its 12V battery a couple of times.
I've had it since 2014. Ironically it had been returned to Ford under the NY lemon law because it had been taken to the dealer three times for, wait for it, a dead 12V battery! lol

Mine has died a few times, but always in my garage and always when I had left it unplugged and undriven for a few days. When I said "designed better" I meant that the 12V battery won't die if my FFE is plugged in.

Didn't mean to trigger any yellow wrench PTSD, Jamie! Sorry!

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
The poster of the following video replied in the comment section that it only works when the LVB is dead:
Glad I saw the video posted here! Removing the rear panel to directly access the battery looks to be WAY easier than removing the left (driver) side panel!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Exactly!
That's kind of why I brought it up. I'm sure that's the design intent.

But this entire thread is about things not working properly!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

When the Mach E is plugged in to an EVSE it charges the LVB as well. The issue is when it is not plugged in.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
damn 35ah is quite small. Well we'll see what Ford says. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. Id like to see it be a bit bigger.
It also doesn't have to turn a starter!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Correct. They were stating what Ford had said. I doubt the dealer was letting them pull the battery leads and run a test in the showroom.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Agreed. But in addition to the keyhole, it would also need a mechanical way to physically open the door or trunk. Even if the car is unlocked, there’s no way to get in without power since all of the latches are electronic.
Actually the door-lock levers on the inside have mechanical cables. If you pull back far enough they will mechanically unlock the door. That only helps here if the window is rolled down.
Sponsored