I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me!

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Given the global supply chain/chip chaos, I decided to put down a deposit for the Kia EV6. It's not even an order at this point, but it just gets me in line to place an order once the dealer has an allocation. Most likely I'll be ordering for a 2024 model. I still have an opportunity to choose the trim level. Most likely, I'll be going with an EV6 GT, or possibly GT-Line.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mach-E GTPE. There are definitely some quirks and few small annoyances, but for the most part it has been a really enjoyable ownership experience. There's a high likelihood that I will keep my GTPE even when the EV6 arrives and simply become a full-EV household. Alternatively, if my wife prefers something else and I tire of the Mustang, then I guess it'll be a trade-in.

Some quick thoughts on why I still love the Mach-E over the EV6.
  • Storage capacity - with a larger rear storage and a frunk, the Mach-E will likely be the better family trip/camping vehicle. The frunk is fantastic for takeout food and groceries too.
  • Styling - I'm still a fan of the Mach-E styling over the EV6. The cyber orange is still a head-turner. I can't say I like the EV6 neon green... kind of yuck if you ask me.
  • Software - it's not perfect, but as far as I can tell, the center screen functions are much prettier and more intuitive. Also, wireless Apple CarPlay!
  • Interior - can't say I'm in love with the EV6 interior. The two-spoke steering wheel on the EV6 is not my taste. Did I mention the nasty neon green?
  • This community - I like that Mustang owners seem to be more involved in learning about the vehicle, and enthusiastic with mods and software integrations.

Some things I'd look forward to with an EV6.
  • Ride position - sitting in the Mach-E very much feels like reading high in an SUV. It feels like I'm too far off the ground which detracts from the sporty feel I'd love. My most-preferred body type is the wagon.
  • Fast charging (maybe) - I don't do this much, but an 18-minute 80% charge-up would be way more preferable to a 40-minute one as charging infrastructure gets built out for long-haul journeys.
  • Ride quality - I haven't experienced this myself but I understand the EV6/Ioniq suspension to be a bit more forgiving than the Mach-E. Even with Magnaride, imperfect local roods can sometimes feel like an off-road safari in the Mustang.
  • Not worrying about the HVBJB meltdown - 'nuff said!
Do I care about the 0-60 times or the 5-second limit? Not particularly, as I prioritize overall driving feel, tossability and sportiness over raw neck-snapping acceleration.

Will I regret my decision?... Time will tell! I still have the chance to back out since it's a refundable deposit on the EV6.
Sponsored

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Sweet! Hope the wait isn't too long overall and things start smoothing out.

I am glad to see EVs being so well embraced, even if not a Ford, heck sometimes especially if not a Ford. Competition is good and KIA does a lot better than the MME, especially on the DCFC front. Ford and other should feel the pressure so the next gen Mach-E is pushed to be a class leader, which is better for all of us. I want my next MME to have at least 250kW DCFC at peak, and 400 mile range. Having competition that people want is more likely to push that towards reality.

Keep us updated on the car when you get it!

DM85

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I actually put down a deposit back in May for an EV6 AWD GT-Line. At that point the estimate was 8ish weeks based on prior orders. Back in Late August I got a text from the dealer saying they may need to convert me to a 2023 order…or maybe a 2024 lol. At this point the GTPE I ordered back in March is set to arrive in October (we will see about that). So it’s been a lot of back and forth about which EV would come first, now it clearly seems to be the Mach-E. Having had an opportunity to be in both I preferred the Mach-E, I just wasn’t thrilled about paying like 15k more than the ev6.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
A very worthy choice, in my opinion. I'm coming from an Ioniq 5 myself and have two EV6s in the family, both the mid-level Wind trim.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! both

Regarding your EV6 points, I'll provide my 2 cents:

Ride: after hearing and reading comparisons criticizing the Mach E's ride, I haven't had any issues at all. Granted, I have a RT1 with 18" wheels. While that may help smother sharper bumps, I didn't expect it would help the bounciness issue any. However, having completed a 200 mile round trip and plenty of around town driving, it simply hasn't been an issue.

Fast Charging: The Korean cars really deliver. I routinely got a sustained 150kw on 150kw chargers, with a reported peak of 170. I was apparently not alone in this.

One thing that doesn't seem to get discussed much though, is how a better mi/kwh efficiency will allow you to get more out of level 2 charging. My Ioniq 5 had a lifetime average of 4.0 and I was able to achieve 4.6 on a 100 mile highway drive. So far, I'm running around 3.6 on the Rt1. So, in effect, I recovered more range per hour in the Hyundai, even at the same charging rate. My wife and I have the same commute, and the EV6 was a few tenths more efficient.

Ride position/driving experience: The shorter wheelbase of the EV6 makes it noticably more nimble than the I5, which has about the same wheelbase as the MME. That part is nice. However, while the I5 and EV6 hoods drop away to nothing, the longer hood of the MME--while probably less space efficient--just feels right IMO.

One thing I've noticed is that everything is more muted and bassy in the Mach E. The UI (beeps, fake engine sound, etc.) and mechanical (a/c fan) sounds in the EV6 are higher pitched. Personal preference here, but IMO the Mach E feels more masculine in this regard, though some might say it feels older/more mature.

A possibly major consideration: if you are taller, you may want to try on the GT Line before committing. The sunroof (which is standard on the GT Line but not available in the Wind or GT, AFAIK) reduces front headroom by a good bit, and it's not in abundance to begin with.

Sound system: I didn't see you mention this, but I have to say the EV6 sound system in my opinion is absolutely sub par. This despite ours having the optional Meridian sound system. Honestly, in terms of scratchy sibilant highs, it reminds me of the base system in the Rt1. Low frequency extension and punch are nearly non-existent. As an aside, I've noticed a trend where having a branded system doesn't guarantee good sound, and this is a very emphatic example.

Wireless phone connectivity can be fixed with a $70 dongle from Amazon, FWIW.

Edit: I forgot to mention some of my favorite features on the EV6/Ioniq5/GV60

- Changing between eco/normal/sport using a very well placed steering wheel button
- Changing brake regen level using steering wheel paddles, ranging from complete coasting to one pedal driving, and automatic modes that vary regen according to conditions
- V2L. An awesome feature when the situation calls for it. My house is wired with an inlet and transfer switch that would let me power the fridge, router, security systems, lights, and fans using the car as a power source. I've also used it to run a portable washing machine and wet-dry vac
- Locking mechanisms for the charging port door and the charging connector
- When it starts charging, it announces "CHARGING STARTED" in a forceful voice from the front bumper somewhere. User adjustable volume. But it is really fun when it makes passers-by jump and double take.

Last edited:

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You can't go wrong with the Korean EVs. I had an order for an EV6 from March, that was actually ready for me in June. I ended up passing on it, because I already had the Mach E and liked it. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it, but you know what they say about hindsight - always 20/20. In addition to the things you mentioned, ventilated seats, lane watch cameras, and slightly faster 0-60 (compared to my AWD ER Premium - not compared to your GT) were all bonuses. I do like the additional storage, wireless Carplay, and the overlook of the Mach E more. You really can't go wrong with either. It's a real bummer that the Korean models are no longer elligible for the tax credit though, if that's a consideration for you.

OP
OP
UsernameChecksOut

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A very worthy choice, in my opinion. I'm coming from an Ioniq 5 myself and have two EV6s in the family, both the mid-level Wind trim.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! both

Regarding your EV6 points, I'll provide my 2 cents:

Ride: after hearing and reading comparisons criticizing the Mach E's ride, I haven't had any issues at all. Granted, I have a RT1 with 18" wheels. While that may help smother sharper bumps, I didn't expect it would help the bounciness issue any. However, having completed a 200 mile round trip and plenty of around town driving, it simply hasn't been an issue.

Fast Charging: The Korean cars really deliver. I routinely got a sustained 150kw on 150kw chargers, with a reported peak of 170. I was apparently not alone in this.

One thing that doesn't seem to get discussed much though, is how a better mi/kwh efficiency will allow you to get more out of level 2 charging. My Ioniq 5 had a lifetime average of 4.0 and I was able to achieve 4.6 on a 100 mile highway drive. So far, I'm running around 3.6 on the Rt1. So, in effect, I recovered more range per hour in the Hyundai, even at the same charging rate. My wife and I have the same commute, and the EV6 was a few tenths more efficient.

Ride position/driving experience: The shorter wheelbase of the EV6 makes it noticably more nimble than the I5, which has about the same wheelbase as the MME. That part is nice. However, while the I5 and EV6 hoods drop away to nothing, the longer hood of the MME--while probably less space efficient--just feels right IMO.

One thing I've noticed is that everything is more muted and bassy in the Mach E. The UI (beeps, fake engine sound, etc.) and mechanical (a/c fan) sounds in the EV6 are higher pitched. Personal preference here, but IMO the Mach E feels more masculine in this regard, though some might say it feels older/more mature.

A possibly major consideration: if you are taller, you may want to try on the GT Line before committing. The sunroof (which is standard on the GT Line but not available in the Wind or GT, AFAIK) reduces front headroom by a good bit, and it's not in abundance to begin with.

Sound system: I didn't see you mention this, but I have to say the EV6 sound system in my opinion is absolutely sub par. This despite ours having the optional Meridian sound system. Honestly, in terms of scratchy sibilant highs, it reminds me of the base system in the Rt1. Low frequency extension and punch are nearly non-existent. As an aside, I've noticed a trend where having a branded system doesn't guarantee good sound, and this is a very emphatic example.

Wireless phone connectivity can be fixed with a $70 dongle from Amazon, FWIW.
A lot of fantastic and detailed observations! Thanks for sharing this!

DM85

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
The height issue in the EV6 is real. I am about 5’ 11” and in the GT-Line I could easily straighten up and feel my hair brush the roof. I am coming from a Honda civic though so that was pretty much par for the course.

OP
OP
UsernameChecksOut

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The height issue in the EV6 is real. I am about 5’ 11” and in the GT-Line I could easily straighten up and feel my hair brush the roof. I am coming from a Honda civic though so that was pretty much par for the course.
Well, sadly I’m very, very safe from the danger of bumping my head against the roof liner anytime soon!! 😂

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
My car is in the 10/10 build date. I ordered a Blazer EV a few months back. Probably keep both, but who knows. Good luck with the Kia.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Haha, funny. My wife is currently driving my GT while I'm driving the GT-Line AWD EV6. I hate it...it's soft, it's slow, it's tight, small, drives and handles more like a caddy, slow steering, cheap looking/feeling interior and the worst, absolutely horrible sound system. It just feels cheap.

I'm trading in the EV6 on an AWD Premium Ext MME so my wife will drive that can I get my MME GT Back.

Hopefully you have a better experience with it.

OP
OP
UsernameChecksOut

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha, funny. My wife is currently driving my GT while I'm driving the GT-Line AWD EV6. I hate it...it's soft, it's slow, it's tight, small, drives and handles more like a caddy, slow steering, cheap looking/feeling interior and the worst, absolutely horrible sound system. It just feels cheap.

I'm trading in the EV6 on an AWD Premium Ext MME so my wife will drive that can I get my MME GT Back.

That’s pretty damning testimony! 😮

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag

I'm definitely in agreement on the sound system, and the perceived quality of the interior.

As for being small, it definitely has less headroom but more real-world leg room. As for being slow, it's absolutely quicker than the equivalent MME

CarWow drag race

Considering the GV60 performance traps at 110-112 and has 90 fewer HP than the EV6 GT, it's likely the EV6 GT will be quite formidable.

Serious question: How can you get past the fact that it's still branded as a Kia?

I can't unsee Kia, Hyundai and Genesis being the K-Mart of the auto industry.
People used to say this about Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, and Samsung for that matter. Kia and Hyundai are, by most accounts, killing it right now.

OP
OP
UsernameChecksOut

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People used to say this about Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus, and Samsung for that matter. Kia and Hyundai are, by most accounts, killing it right now.
Not too long ago I thought similarly of Ford, to be honest. But I want to be fair to the company and people who have done good engineering and product development to bring us good results despite whatever the historical reputation may be.

The great thing about modern consumerism is the visibility we get from media and independent reviewers. It’s hard to ignore the consistently good things people say about these cars (Mach-E and Ioniq/EV6 both!).
Sponsored