I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me!

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
Why would anybody buy a EV6 GT if they aren’t going to track it? It supposedly has manual non-ventilated seats and those 21” wheels hammer range. EPA range is 206 or something. It’s not a road trip EV and it might cost $65K+ USD.

I’m on a fake waitlist for one because pricing hasn’t been released yet.

You want a sporty family EV that doesn’t compromise too much that’s the GV60.
The 320 HP AWD EV6 GT-Line is the first model they marketed. It does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. And it can do it more than once. It has heated AND vented seats - and a sunroof that OPENS. I can get 280 miles of range if I drive in my age group.

The EV6 GT (no Line designation) is 570+ HP and will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It hasn’t hit the States yet. It has the contour, non-vented seats like the GTPE and an electronic suspension in the category of the Magneride. Apparently the range sucks but you can get there much faster.
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if people are driving the same car as me? I own both a GTline and a GTPE, have for 6-7 months now. The EV6 handling is just different… Better (far better in certain conditions) and better in the MME in others. The suspension is not sloppy, to be honest I don’t even know what that means? I have yet to see or feel a single instance where the MME or the EV6’s steering or suspension limits the drive, I’ve had both on fairly curvy freeways up to 100 and they both did fine. There were nuances and the MME did feel more in control and recovery from rough road ways is better but I’d say at lower speeds and tight quarters I much prefer the EV6. Far easier to maneuver and park in my tight cul de sac and far better at slow speeds over bumps. I have yet to figure out why but at full lock our MME always “skips” almost as if the tires are breaking traction on the asphalt and it’s turning radius feels as bad as my Jeep Gladiator.

I’d say for short drives not needing DCFC without a bunch of super tight parking, I’d choose our MachE. It’s fast and fun to drive and wins in interior and exterior aesthetics but I’d say the latter is a minor victory not a landslide.

For long drives I STRONGLY recommend prefer our EV6. FAR better charging, way way better range (I mean you started it by comparing the GTline to a GTPE), way better UI (F*ing hate the single screen and lack of buttons and stupidity that Ford chose to default their screens back to), Regen paddles, variable regen, auto regen AND independent variable eco vs sport mode (last time i checked there isn’t actually an eco mode in the MME) all that can be accessed in a half a second by a button press on the steering wheel and not by digging two menus deep on the main stack, Sunroof on the EV6, less bugs so far (I have yet to have function interrupted by a bug in the EV6, I can’t even begin to say the same for the MME), no HVJB issues (yet), Blue Cruise is terrible (our EV6 does not pingpong and doesn’t dangerously hug large vehicles next to you, it’s just smoother at steering adjustments, our MME is so bad (comically so in our car) my wife won’t allow it’s use anymore when she and or the child are present).

Point being, the MME (quite possibly just the GTPE) does handle better and is faster but it’s NOT that the EV6 is somehow bad at both. Comparing the EV6 GT and GTPE someday will be a much more interesting and valid comparison. The only other thing I would actually say is better in the MME is aesthetics but that’s highly personal and in my opinion it’s a minor victory with my personal tastes.
You probably have an older GTPE with an older BlueCruise because the newer 2022 models no longer ping pong. I drove back 40 miles eating Buc-ee’s from Daytona without touching the wheel except once because three cars were merging and I don’t like the situation.

With that said, I had a Telluride which had fantastic lane keep assist and HDA1 where I barely had to touch the wheel since it stayed within the lanes and had excellent follow distance assist. I’m sure the EV6 is the same.

FYI The GTPE has horrific efficiency. The worst EV I’ve owned in that respect. It’s so bad I’m considering downgrading to my last Premium AWD ER order. I’m getting 2.6-2.8 mi/kWh efficiency with a sub 230 mile range. My last Premium AWD ER had 3.2 mi/kWh in the same routes at the same speeds. Easily 280 miles of range. My Model Y had 3.6-3.8 mi/kWh and also easily had 280 miles of real world highway range. My Model 3 RWD had 4.2+ mi/KWh. My current BMW i4 achieves 3.9 mi/kWh with butter smooth suspension and glorious audio. My MINI electric is achieving 4.0 mi/kWh which for its size and weight is actually terrible. I thought my 2021 ID.4 had atrocious efficiency (3.0 mi/kWh with RWD!!!! Yikes) but nope… the GTPE is vastly worse.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The 320 HP AWD EV6 GT-Line is the first model they marketed. It does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. And it can do it more than once. It has heated AND vented seats - and a sunroof that OPENS. I can get 280 miles of range if I drive in my age group.

The EV6 GT (no Line designation) is 570+ HP and will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It hasn’t hit the States yet. It has the contour, non-vented seats like the GTPE and an electronic suspension in the category of the Magneride. Apparently the range sucks but you can get there much faster.
The EV6 GT is supposed to have non powered seats. For a rumored $65K car that’s pretty crazy.

And the range will suck because of the 21” wheels. It’s the same problem with the BMW i4. The 18” and 19” have fantastic range but the performance 20” tires drop the range by 50 miles. Confirmed by Bjorn in his range tests.

Why somebody would buy a 200 mile performance EV and not track it is beyond me. It’s not a luxury EV like an e-tron. One could argue an i4 M50 should be tracked but that interior and audio system is luxury class compared to the EV6 GT so daily-ing an i4 would be enjoyable.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if people are driving the same car as me? I own both a GTline and a GTPE, have for 6-7 months now. The EV6 handling is just different… Better (far better in certain conditions) and better in the MME in others. The suspension is not sloppy, to be honest I don’t even know what that means? I have yet to see or feel a single instance where the MME or the EV6’s steering or suspension limits the drive, I’ve had both on fairly curvy freeways up to 100 and they both did fine. There were nuances and the MME did feel more in control and recovery from rough road ways is better but I’d say at lower speeds and tight quarters I much prefer the EV6. Far easier to maneuver and park in my tight cul de sac and far better at slow speeds over bumps. I have yet to figure out why but at full lock our MME always “skips” almost as if the tires are breaking traction on the asphalt and it’s turning radius feels as bad as my Jeep Gladiator.

I’d say for short drives not needing DCFC without a bunch of super tight parking, I’d choose our MachE. It’s fast and fun to drive and wins in interior and exterior aesthetics but I’d say the latter is a minor victory not a landslide.

For long drives I STRONGLY recommend prefer our EV6. FAR better charging, way way better range (I mean you started it by comparing the GTline to a GTPE), way better UI (F*ing hate the single screen and lack of buttons and stupidity that Ford chose to default their screens back to), Regen paddles, variable regen, auto regen AND independent variable eco vs sport mode (last time i checked there isn’t actually an eco mode in the MME) all that can be accessed in a half a second by a button press on the steering wheel and not by digging two menus deep on the main stack, Sunroof on the EV6, less bugs so far (I have yet to have function interrupted by a bug in the EV6, I can’t even begin to say the same for the MME), no HVJB issues (yet), Blue Cruise is terrible (our EV6 does not pingpong and doesn’t dangerously hug large vehicles next to you, it’s just smoother at steering adjustments, our MME is so bad (comically so in our car) my wife won’t allow it’s use anymore when she and or the child are present).

Point being, the MME (quite possibly just the GTPE) does handle better and is faster but it’s NOT that the EV6 is somehow bad at both. Comparing the EV6 GT and GTPE someday will be a much more interesting and valid comparison. The only other thing I would actually say is better in the MME is aesthetics but that’s highly personal and in my opinion it’s a minor victory with my personal tastes.
I'm a former autocross/hpde driver so I put a huge emphasis on how the car drives at the limit. While the mme is high sprung and under dampened the ev6 is the exact opposite. Softer spring rates and way too soft dampers for sporty driving. Sloppy is how I describe the cars behavior at the limit.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
The EV6 GT is supposed to have non powered seats. For a rumored $65K car that’s pretty crazy.

And the range will suck because of the 21” wheels. It’s the same problem with the BMW i4. The 18” and 19” have fantastic range but the performance 20” tires drop the range by 50 miles. Confirmed by Bjorn in his range tests.

Why somebody would buy a 200 mile performance EV and not track it is beyond me. It’s not a luxury EV like an e-tron. One could argue an i4 M50 should be tracked but that interior and audio system is luxury class compared to the EV6 GT so daily-ing an i4 would be enjoyable.
It was also supposed to not have a sunroof and likewise that’s not the case based on the model EV6 GT shuttled around, all assuming that build ends up being retail. We will have to see what happens with trim levels when the ordering opens up. The terrible predicted range estimates for the EV6 GT will mean we won’t be buying one unless Kia can pull off a miracle with eco mode or something which seems unlikely.

I don’t need 2 GTPEs with utter crap efficiency. (Not complaining though since we love its power) but if my wife didn’t love the aesthetics of her MME so much I’d strongly consider a trade in and keep the EV6 GT and my current GT line. Especially if the EV6 GT adaptive suspension and e-diff ends up being decent and they actually have electric seats, etc.

I just don’t know if I’m in love with the EV6 aesthetics to have two of them.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Enjoy the EV6. It's a great car. A friend has one and loves it.

I'm thrilled with every new BEV that comes to market that people can get what they want rather than the only BEV available.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
A very worthy choice, in my opinion. I'm coming from an Ioniq 5 myself and have two EV6s in the family, both the mid-level Wind trim.

both.jpg

Regarding your EV6 points, I'll provide my 2 cents:

Ride: after hearing and reading comparisons criticizing the Mach E's ride, I haven't had any issues at all. Granted, I have a RT1 with 18" wheels. While that may help smother sharper bumps, I didn't expect it would help the bounciness issue any. However, having completed a 200 mile round trip and plenty of around town driving, it simply hasn't been an issue.

Fast Charging: The Korean cars really deliver. I routinely got a sustained 150kw on 150kw chargers, with a reported peak of 170. I was apparently not alone in this.

One thing that doesn't seem to get discussed much though, is how a better mi/kwh efficiency will allow you to get more out of level 2 charging. My Ioniq 5 had a lifetime average of 4.0 and I was able to achieve 4.6 on a 100 mile highway drive. So far, I'm running around 3.6 on the Rt1. So, in effect, I recovered more range per hour in the Hyundai, even at the same charging rate. My wife and I have the same commute, and the EV6 was a few tenths more efficient.

Ride position/driving experience: The shorter wheelbase of the EV6 makes it noticably more nimble than the I5, which has about the same wheelbase as the MME. That part is nice. However, while the I5 and EV6 hoods drop away to nothing, the longer hood of the MME--while probably less space efficient--just feels right IMO.

One thing I've noticed is that everything is more muted and bassy in the Mach E. The UI (beeps, fake engine sound, etc.) and mechanical (a/c fan) sounds in the EV6 are higher pitched. Personal preference here, but IMO the Mach E feels more masculine in this regard, though some might say it feels older/more mature.

A possibly major consideration: if you are taller, you may want to try on the GT Line before committing. The sunroof (which is standard on the GT Line but not available in the Wind or GT, AFAIK) reduces front headroom by a good bit, and it's not in abundance to begin with.

Sound system: I didn't see you mention this, but I have to say the EV6 sound system in my opinion is absolutely sub par. This despite ours having the optional Meridian sound system. Honestly, in terms of scratchy sibilant highs, it reminds me of the base system in the Rt1. Low frequency extension and punch are nearly non-existent. As an aside, I've noticed a trend where having a branded system doesn't guarantee good sound, and this is a very emphatic example.

Wireless phone connectivity can be fixed with a $70 dongle from Amazon, FWIW.

Edit: I forgot to mention some of my favorite features on the EV6/Ioniq5/GV60

- Changing between eco/normal/sport using a very well placed steering wheel button
- Changing brake regen level using steering wheel paddles, ranging from complete coasting to one pedal driving, and automatic modes that vary regen according to conditions
- V2L. An awesome feature when the situation calls for it. My house is wired with an inlet and transfer switch that would let me power the fridge, router, security systems, lights, and fans using the car as a power source. I've also used it to run a portable washing machine and wet-dry vac
- Locking mechanisms for the charging port door and the charging connector
- When it starts charging, it announces "CHARGING STARTED" in a forceful voice from the front bumper somewhere. User adjustable volume. But it is really fun when it makes passers-by jump and double take.
Interesting. Most of the feedback I've read on the Ioniq 5 in particular was that it's not very efficient. I was going to ask about winter efficiency and winter fast charging, but I see you're in South Florida. :)

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Interesting. Most of the feedback I've read on the Ioniq 5 in particular was that it's not very efficient. I was going to ask about winter efficiency and winter fast charging, but I see you're in South Florida. :)
I always found that interesting too. With the many cars I've had over the years, all would underperform their EPA rating. Not so with the Ioniq 5, without ever using ECO mode.

These screen shots (different drives on different days) are from a combination of surface streets and 55-70mph highways, where I was around the 40th percentile in speed (for every two cars I passed, three passed me). Driving in the 80-90th percentile still put me on pace for 270 miles on a single charge, which doesn't reconcile at all with the range tests I've seen.

For the record, lots of those same reviewers had me concerned about the Mach E having a sub-par ride quality, and that doesn't match my experience either. I guess it goes to show there's no substitute for actually trying something out yourself.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! 90mi

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! 38mi

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
FYI The GTPE has horrific efficiency. The worst EV I’ve owned in that respect. It’s so bad I’m considering downgrading to my last Premium AWD ER order. I’m getting 2.6-2.8 mi/kWh efficiency with a sub 230 mile range. My last Premium AWD ER had 3.2 mi/kWh in the same routes at the same speeds. Easily 280 miles of range. My Model Y had 3.6-3.8 mi/kWh and also easily had 280 miles of real world highway range. My Model 3 RWD had 4.2+ mi/KWh. My current BMW i4 achieves 3.9 mi/kWh with butter smooth suspension and glorious audio. My MINI electric is achieving 4.0 mi/kWh which for its size and weight is actually terrible. I thought my 2021 ID.4 had atrocious efficiency (3.0 mi/kWh with RWD!!!! Yikes) but nope… the GTPE is vastly worse
Here is the official listing from the EPA.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! Screenshot_20220928-092923

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
traitor...

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It was also supposed to not have a sunroof and likewise that’s not the case based on the model EV6 GT shuttled around, all assuming that build ends up being retail. We will have to see what happens with trim levels when the ordering opens up. The terrible predicted range estimates for the EV6 GT will mean we won’t be buying one unless Kia can pull off a miracle with eco mode or something which seems unlikely.

I don’t need 2 GTPEs with utter crap efficiency. (Not complaining though since we love its power) but if my wife didn’t love the aesthetics of her MME so much I’d strongly consider a trade in and keep the EV6 GT and my current GT line. Especially if the EV6 GT adaptive suspension and e-diff ends up being decent and they actually have electric seats, etc.

I just don’t know if I’m in love with the EV6 aesthetics to have two of them.
The UK site lists the EV6 GT efficiency as 2.7 mi/kWh which lines up with the Mach-E GTPE efficiency I experience.

With the smaller 77 kW battery that is 208 miles of range.

The GV60 Performance has adaptive suspension but all reviewers complain about it so it remains to be seen if it works well in the real world much like how Mach-E's MagneRide was pumped to be amazing... but it's not.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I always found that interesting too. With the many cars I've had over the years, all would underperform their EPA rating. Not so with the Ioniq 5, without ever using ECO mode.

These screen shots (different drives on different days) are from a combination of surface streets and 55-70mph highways, where I was around the 40th percentile in speed (for every two cars I passed, three passed me). Driving in the 80-90th percentile still put me on pace for 270 miles on a single charge, which doesn't reconcile at all with the range tests I've seen.

For the record, lots of those same reviewers had me concerned about the Mach E having a sub-par ride quality, and that doesn't match my experience either. I guess it goes to show there's no substitute for actually trying something out yourself.
It depends on your standards and what other cars you drive. Compared to a Model Y and RAV4... the Mach-E ride quality is decent.

Compared to my (former) Telluride and BMW i4? Heck no... it's bad on non-perfect roads except GTPE's Unbridled mode.

Also handling is subjective too. A few others have mentioned how the Ioniq 5 handles like a mushy boat (I agree). Folks looking for a good handling car need to look elsewhere. I vastly prefer how the EV6 handles.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
...there's no substitute for actually trying something out yourself.
It depends on your standards and what other cars you drive. Compared to a Model Y and RAV4... the Mach-E ride quality is decent.

Compared to my (former) Telluride and BMW i4? Heck no... it's bad on non-perfect roads except GTPE's Unbridled mode.

Also handling is subjective too. A few others have mentioned how the Ioniq 5 handles like a mushy boat (I agree). Folks looking for a good handling car need to look elsewhere. I vastly prefer how the EV6 handles.
Agreed

Todd44

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, MME Select, Red, RWD ordered 3/17/22
Occupation
Software Developer Manager
Country flag
I ordered an EV6 on 7/1/22, and an MME on 3/17/22, the ev6 is due at the dealership on 10/16 (MSRP) the MME is scheduled to be built on 10/17 (MSRP or xplan). The 3-4 month turn around for Kia is great. I have no idea which one I’m going to keep, will try to get the wife to keep one of them…

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I ordered an EV6 on 7/1/22, and an MME on 3/17/22, the ev6 is due at the dealership on 10/16 (MSRP) the MME is scheduled to be built on 10/17 (MSRP or xplan). The 3-4 month turn around for Kia is great. I have no idea which one I’m going to keep, will try to get the wife to keep one of them…
Was the dealership able to do anything for you with respect to solidifying an order so you'll still get the tax credit on the EV6?
Sponsored