I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me!

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'm definitely in agreement on the sound system, and the perceived quality of the interior.

As for being small, it definitely has less headroom but more real-world leg room. As for being slow, it's absolutely quicker than the equivalent MME

CarWow drag race

Considering the GV60 performance traps at 110-112 and has 90 fewer HP than the EV6 GT, it's likely the EV6 GT will be quite formidable.
Ok...but he doesn't have an equivalent mme...he has a GT. As do I....and compared to that it sucks. Like really bad. It isn't necessarily just outright speed. The suspension is sloppy, the steering is not variable and the throttle mapping is way more lazy. It just isn't as fun to drive and it doesn't feel nearly as eager to drive fast.
Sponsored

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Ok...but he doesn't have an equivalent mme...he has a GT. As do I....and compared to that it sucks. Like really bad. It isn't necessarily just outright speed. The suspension is sloppy, the steering is not variable and the throttle mapping is way more lazy. It just isn't as fun to drive and it doesn't feel nearly as eager to drive fast.
I'm gathering there may be confusion around GT-Line versus GT. GT-Line is a mid level spec, roughly equivalent to the MME Premium. The full EV6 GT is the equivalent model to the MME GT. I don't believe it is yet available in North America.

EV6 GT (not GT-Line) drag race

My former Ioniq 5 and my wife's EV6 (both dual motor 320 hp models) have far more aggressive throttle tip-in than my Route 1, especially in sport mode. Comparing one of these to a MME GT is not really apples-to-apples.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Given the global supply chain/chip chaos, I decided to put down a deposit for the Kia EV6. It's not even an order at this point, but it just gets me in line to place an order once the dealer has an allocation. Most likely I'll be ordering for a 2024 model. I still have an opportunity to choose the trim level. Most likely, I'll be going with an EV6 GT, or possibly GT-Line.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mach-E GTPE. There are definitely some quirks and few small annoyances, but for the most part it has been a really enjoyable ownership experience. There's a high likelihood that I will keep my GTPE even when the EV6 arrives and simply become a full-EV household. Alternatively, if my wife prefers something else and I tire of the Mustang, then I guess it'll be a trade-in.

Some quick thoughts on why I still love the Mach-E over the EV6.
  • Storage capacity - with a larger rear storage and a frunk, the Mach-E will likely be the better family trip/camping vehicle. The frunk is fantastic for takeout food and groceries too.
  • Styling - I'm still a fan of the Mach-E styling over the EV6. The cyber orange is still a head-turner. I can't say I like the EV6 neon green... kind of yuck if you ask me.
  • Software - it's not perfect, but as far as I can tell, the center screen functions are much prettier and more intuitive. Also, wireless Apple CarPlay!
  • Interior - can't say I'm in love with the EV6 interior. The two-spoke steering wheel on the EV6 is not my taste. Did I mention the nasty neon green?
  • This community - I like that Mustang owners seem to be more involved in learning about the vehicle, and enthusiastic with mods and software integrations.

Some things I'd look forward to with an EV6.
  • Ride position - sitting in the Mach-E very much feels like reading high in an SUV. It feels like I'm too far off the ground which detracts from the sporty feel I'd love. My most-preferred body type is the wagon.
  • Fast charging (maybe) - I don't do this much, but an 18-minute 80% charge-up would be way more preferable to a 40-minute one as charging infrastructure gets built out for long-haul journeys.
  • Ride quality - I haven't experienced this myself but I understand the EV6/Ioniq suspension to be a bit more forgiving than the Mach-E. Even with Magnaride, imperfect local roods can sometimes feel like an off-road safari in the Mustang.
  • Not worrying about the HVBJB meltdown - 'nuff said!
Do I care about the 0-60 times or the 5-second limit? Not particularly, as I prioritize overall driving feel, tossability and sportiness over raw neck-snapping acceleration.

Will I regret my decision?... Time will tell! I still have the chance to back out since it's a refundable deposit on the EV6.
Meh. Itā€™s your money, buy what fits your needs best or makes you happiest. Itā€™s a car, nothing more. Besides, we wonā€™t hate you, weā€™ll just make ev6 jokes about you after youā€™re gone. ;)

I hope it all works out for you. :)

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What is the reason for getting a GT? Pure speed on the street?

I donā€™t think the EV6 GT nor MME GT PE are great track cars. A tad too heavy.

I was autocrossing my GTPE with an EV6 driven by the 2004 national Amod champ and while his times were decent they were nowhere near a dedicated light performance car like a M3P.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! C5600B52-4699-4B9C-8306-BD1BD0351B69

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! 40EC7216-35DC-4063-9521-EEFFC4FE2FB4

If I ever get an EV6 GT Iā€™d miss hands free BlueCruise the most. It works so well.

DM85

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I was originally on a fake waitlist for an EV6 GT but ended up taking myself off for two main reasons. The interior is arguably slightly worse on the GT, it loses motorized and ventilated seats. They are manually adjustable and heated (I assume for weight reasons). The other is the dealer I was at told me the allocations for them were expected to be sporadic and limited and he expected them to be selling for 75-80k USD which I had no interesting in paying for a car with less features but more power. I am assuming this is due to planned markups and not the actual expected MSRP.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Some things I'd look forward to with an EV6.
  • Ride position - sitting in the Mach-E very much feels like reading high in an SUV. It feels like I'm too far off the ground which detracts from the sporty feel I'd love. My most-preferred body type is the wagon.
  • Ride quality - I haven't experienced this myself but I understand the EV6/Ioniq suspension to be a bit more forgiving than the Mach-E. Even with Magnaride, imperfect local roods can sometimes feel like an off-road safari in the Mustang.
Do I care about the 0-60 times or the 5-second limit? Not particularly, as I prioritize overall driving feel, tossability and sportiness over raw neck-snapping acceleration.
If you want a lower riding position and better ride quality - consider an BMW i4 with adaptive suspension - which in Comfort mode feels like a luxury sedan but in Sport mode stiffens up like the GTPE in Unbridled. Sadly the i4 has poor rear passenger space, no frunk, and a small hatch/trunk so it's not ideal for large families.

If you want sporty driving... these heavy EVs aren't the best. For city driving, I still prefer the MINI electric as it zips around like a go kart.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
I have a First Edition Kia EV6 GT-Line and a Mach E GTPE.

I ordered the GTPE last September. It wasnā€™t coming so I picked up Kia EV6 GT-Line First Edition in February. Its fabulous and fast - and a great road trip car. Iā€™ve taken it to Yellowstone and all over California. The head of R&D for the Kia EV6 was Albert Biermann who formerly led the BMW ā€œMā€ Group for many years.

In May I get et a call from the dealer that the Mach E showed up - after eight months. Traded in my last gas car to lighten the check and Iā€™m happy with both vehicles.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. (Troll-like complainers have issues that require counseling and/or medication.) Neither is ultimate street-legal race car but either one can embarrass 90% of the vehicles around them.

Which one is better? Theyā€™re different. Is like those two women you used to date and you have to decide which one you want to marry. I can morally string out the decision on the cars much longer - or legally keep them both.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me! IMG_2332s

OP
OP
UsernameChecksOut

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Which one is better? Theyā€™re different. Is like those two women you used to date and you have to decide which one you want to marry. I can morally string out the decision on the cars much longer - or legally keep them both.
Nice analogy! Haha! Yep, like I said in the original post thereā€™s even a chance Iā€™ll keep both.

Iā€™m under no illusion that either of these are track cars. My previous two cars were a WRX and then an Evo X that I did plenty of suspension mods to. But those days are well behind me, as I look to family road-trips and spirited local grocery runs these daysā€¦ and always being on time for picking up the kids. šŸ˜‰

Since you have both, do you usually go for one versus the other for different purposes? Is there one that ā€œgets more loveā€?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why would anybody buy a EV6 GT if they arenā€™t going to track it? It supposedly has manual non-ventilated seats and those 21ā€ wheels hammer range. EPA range is 206 or something. Itā€™s not a road trip EV and it might cost $65K+ USD.

Iā€™m on a fake waitlist for one because pricing hasnā€™t been released yet.

You want a sporty family EV that doesnā€™t compromise too much thatā€™s the GV60.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
I put down a deposit for EV6. Don't hate me!
Too late I hate you.šŸ‘æ

Nah jk man. You gotta buy whatever vehicle is best for you at the time you need it and what makes sense for your needs. If its an EV6 then good for you wanna know why? Because you bought what you thought is best for you and that is all that matters.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think the tech/feature list and overall vehicle is probably outstanding, because Kia/Hyundai are killing it in vehicle engineering right now. I just canā€™t get behind overtly ā€œfuturisticā€ styling just because ā€œEVā€. I like almost all other Kia styling too so itā€™s a little disappointing. I have seen a few EV6ā€™s in person and just really wouldnā€™t ever consider one for myself because of the looks. Maybe itā€™s just me though, and a good problem for OP to have.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I think the tech/feature list and overall vehicle is probably outstanding, because Kia/Hyundai are killing it in vehicle engineering right now. I just canā€™t get behind overtly ā€œfuturisticā€ styling just because ā€œEVā€. I like almost all other Kia styling too so itā€™s a little disappointing. I have seen a few EV6ā€™s in person and just really wouldnā€™t ever consider one for myself because of the looks. Maybe itā€™s just me though, and a good problem for OP to have.
Try the blacked out GTline trim on black color that looks great and you lose all the satin stainless steel (except for the Kia badge but thatā€™s fixable) that breaks it up and forces the futuristic thing even worse. Our MME wins aesthetically but not by a landslide or a lot as far as I am concerned. I was personally surprised how I liked this trim and color so much more than the standard EV6s I see everywhere else or test drove.ā€”Then again black on black trim just hides the shape of everything so maybe thatā€™s why I like it so much. Lol.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Serious question: How can you get past the fact that it's still branded as a Kia?

I can't unsee Kia, Hyundai and Genesis being the K-Mart of the auto industry.
That was over 25 years ago. They were soooo bad in the 80s and 90s. The newer stuff (last 10 years) is pretty fantastic TBH.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder if people are driving the same car as me? I own both a GTline and a GTPE, have for 6-7 months now. The EV6 handling is just differentā€¦ Better (far better in certain conditions) and better in the MME in others. The suspension is not sloppy, to be honest I donā€™t even know what that means? I have yet to see or feel a single instance where the MME or the EV6ā€™s steering or suspension limits the drive, Iā€™ve had both on fairly curvy freeways up to 100 and they both did fine. There were nuances and the MME did feel more in control and recovery from rough road ways is better but Iā€™d say at lower speeds and tight quarters I much prefer the EV6. Far easier to maneuver and park in my tight cul de sac and far better at slow speeds over bumps. I have yet to figure out why but at full lock our MME always ā€œskipsā€ almost as if the tires are breaking traction on the asphalt and itā€™s turning radius feels as bad as my Jeep Gladiator.

Iā€™d say for short drives not needing DCFC without a bunch of super tight parking, Iā€™d choose our MachE. Itā€™s fast and fun to drive and wins in interior and exterior aesthetics but Iā€™d say the latter is a minor victory not a landslide.

For long drives I STRONGLY recommend prefer our EV6. FAR better charging, way way better range (I mean you started it by comparing the GTline to a GTPE), way better UI (F*ing hate the single screen and lack of buttons and stupidity that Ford chose to default their screens back to), Regen paddles, variable regen, auto regen AND independent variable eco vs sport mode (last time i checked there isnā€™t actually an eco mode in the MME) all that can be accessed in a half a second by a button press on the steering wheel and not by digging two menus deep on the main stack, Sunroof on the EV6, less bugs so far (I have yet to have function interrupted by a bug in the EV6, I canā€™t even begin to say the same for the MME), no HVJB issues (yet), Blue Cruise is terrible (our EV6 does not pingpong and doesnā€™t dangerously hug large vehicles next to you, itā€™s just smoother at steering adjustments, our MME is so bad (comically so in our car) my wife wonā€™t allow itā€™s use anymore when she and or the child are present).

Point being, the MME (quite possibly just the GTPE) does handle better and is faster but itā€™s NOT that the EV6 is somehow bad at both. Comparing the EV6 GT and GTPE someday will be a much more interesting and valid comparison. The only other thing I would actually say is better in the MME is aesthetics but thatā€™s highly personal and in my opinion itā€™s a minor victory with my personal tastes.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
Nice analogy! Haha! Yep, like I said in the original post thereā€™s even a chance Iā€™ll keep both.

Iā€™m under no illusion that either of these are track cars. My previous two cars were a WRX and then an Evo X that I did plenty of suspension mods to. But those days are well behind me, as I look to family road-trips and spirited local grocery runs these daysā€¦ and always being on time for picking up the kids. šŸ˜‰

Since you have both, do you usually go for one versus the other for different purposes? Is there one that ā€œgets more loveā€?

The Kia gets the mileage for road trips. The vented seats are comfortable and supportive. The suspension is firm enough for spirited cornering and forgiving enough for civilized road variations. Sport mode is activated from the steering wheel and 50 to 90 for passing is time warp.

The Mach E is the ā€œaround townā€ muscle car and day tripper. Great for heading up to the mountains or coast for a hike and dinner. The contour seats and Magneride provide G-force handling but the emphasis is on ā€œfirmā€. Firm has to be enjoyed in small doses and I wouldnā€™t want it for a road trip.

When friends have seen the two vehicles their initial interest is in the Mach E. After a few rides, they prefer the Kia - especially for ride comfort.
Sponsored